7.5 rearend

• Sponsors (?)

Lex said:
its fine for a 2.3 and OK for turbo , thats what I have. but I heard some stories about 5.0L with a 7.5 rear. defintly should have a 8.8 for them.

I believe thats because a V8 produces more torque than a 2.3, even with a turbo on it.

351coupe said:
if you don't go around dumping the clutch and if the car doesn't do any wheel hope

Thats the only way I know how to drive my SVO, by dumping the clutch :D

I have run many a strong 5.0L in front of a 7.5" rear end. The ones that break are normally ones with the auburn traction lock unit in them. They tend to break spider gears for some reason. The Ford traction lock unit seems to hold up much better and is a clone of the one used in the 8.8 rear almost. Remember the 7.5 rear end uses the exact same axles as the 8.8. The weak point is the pinion shaft and the smaller spider gears. But I have not broken a ford traction lock unit.

CarbdFord.com said:
I have run many a strong 5.0L in front of a 7.5" rear end. The ones that break are normally ones with the auburn traction lock unit in them. They tend to break spider gears for some reason. The Ford traction lock unit seems to hold up much better and is a clone of the one used in the 8.8 rear almost. Remember the 7.5 rear end uses the exact same axles as the 8.8. The weak point is the pinion shaft and the smaller spider gears. But I have not broken a ford traction lock unit.

yeah definately, I had a 7.5 w/ my windsor for a long time. The only reason it broke is because the car developed a wheel hop once. Other than that you
couldn't tell the diffreence between it and an 8.8.

Hey prohawk. You might want to rethink that torque thing I think I'm making a little torque. Now I have to pick up a little more traction.

CarbdFord.com said:
Remember the 7.5 rear end uses the exact same axles as the 8.8. The weak point is the pinion shaft and the smaller spider gears. But I have not broken a ford traction lock unit.

I never knew this :D Now why in the heck haven't you posted here before so I can learn something new :shrug: :p

351wcoupe said:
Hey prohawk. You might want to rethink that torque thing I think I'm making a little torque. Now I have to pick up a little more traction.

Well put her on a dyno and post us some pics :D I know theres a few people whos dyno a modded 2.3T and got like 250-275ft tq out of them. But don't most 4.6/5.0s make like 300ft tq stock :shrug: Once I get off my lazy butt I'll finnish my car and post some dyno pics my self.

Thanks guys, The reason I asked is because I recently discovered that my 5.0 is actually a 2.3 with a motor and tranny swap. the rearend is a 7.5. I have been unable to get any traction in 1st or 2nd gear. Tires will spin in 2nd untill I shift or get out of the gas. Wasn't sure what would happen if I changed the suspension and tires and was able to hook up!! I'll try not to dump the clutch too much Just to be safe. I feel better knowing it's not that weak !!

Pro-Hawk said:
Well put her on a dyno and post us some pics :D I know theres a few people whos dyno a modded 2.3T and got like 250-275ft tq out of them. But don't most 4.6/5.0s make like 300ft tq stock :shrug: Once I get off my lazy butt I'll finnish my car and post some dyno pics my self.
yeah keep in mind the spray. On motor I'm not making 250ft lbs But I would expect to be close the 300ft lbs on giggle gas.

OOPS! I'm at amanda's house. This is 351wcoupe

Yeah there was definately 2 differential styles. The auburn style that was in the SVO broke from a 1st-2nd shift and the car was 100% stock. I have the 8.8 style in the coupe now...good so far.