70 Spindles for conversion?

DK832

Apr 11, 2006
Copenhagen, DK
Did a search and read a lot on Cobra brakes on early Mustangs, including http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=650982&highlight=disc+brake

I have 70 disc brake spindles on my 69 and will move to the front & rear Cobra brakes using Mustang Steve / Ultrastang brackets.

B4 I just want to make absolutely sure: do I really need to dig up a pair of drum brake spindles? No way to use my existing 70 disc ones? I'm trying to avoid removing the spindles of course and having to realign.

What master cylinder will I need? I have the standard disc/drum now.

Thanks in advance! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

DK832 said:
Did a search and read a lot on Cobra brakes on early Mustangs, including http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=650982&highlight=disc+brake

I have 70 disc brake spindles on my 69 and will move to the front & rear Cobra brakes using Mustang Steve / Ultrastang brackets.

B4 I just want to make absolutely sure: do I really need to dig up a pair of drum brake spindles? No way to use my existing 70 disc ones? I'm trying to avoid removing the spindles of course and having to realign.

What master cylinder will I need? I have the standard disc/drum now.

Thanks in advance! :nice:

If you have '70 disc brake spindles, you don't need the '70 drum brake spindles. The attachment points on the '70 disc spindles are the same as on the Granada's spindles.

However, before I go and sink several thousand dollars into the production of some G2C brackets, I'm going to have to have more input from people really wanting them than what I've gotten so far (no tire kickers, please).

I've actually gotten a better response on the conversion brackets from the Maverick/Comet guys than I have from the Mustang crowd.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/693/g2cbracket003xa8.jpg

www.ultrastang.com

quick note, you can get Baer kits at www.streetortrack.com that use the disc spindles. But you're probably not trying to pay that by going with the Mustang Steve kit.

On a slight hijack, if anyone knows of any '70 drum spindles that are DROP spindles, I'd be interested. Looking to go a little lower in front and also get my spindle away from my UCA. It's just too close . . .

Yep, the Bear kit is nice but takes my NOS of of the budget! :p

Ultrastang, your front kit is not available yet is it? I do love the engineering of it tho, spending a lot of time doing 3D CAD myself (helicopters mainly)! I was thinking to get the rear kit from you, for the rear Cobra calipers/discs. As far as I have been able to read, Steve has the front kit, but only for the drum spindles?

Essentially I'm just looking to complete my shopping list which already has the Ultrastang rear brackets, Ford M-2320-A 4-caliper kit, slotted 13" and 11.65" rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, braided lines, and then ?some bracket? for the front.

The only brackets available to complete my shopping list today that I know of are Steves - and they require drum spindles...?

DK832 said:
Yep, the Bear kit is nice but takes my NOS of of the budget! :p

Ultrastang, your front kit is not available yet is it? I do love the engineering of it tho, spending a lot of time doing 3D CAD myself (helicopters mainly)! I was thinking to get the rear kit from you, for the rear Cobra calipers/discs. As far as I have been able to read, Steve has the front kit, but only for the drum spindles?

Essentially I'm just looking to complete my shopping list which already has the Ultrastang rear brackets, Ford M-2320-A 4-caliper kit, slotted 13" and 11.65" rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, braided lines, and then ?some bracket? for the front.

The only brackets available to complete my shopping list today that I know of are Steves - and they require drum spindles...?

That is correct. I don't currently have the G2C (Granada-to-Cobra) conversion brackets in production yet. Currently, I have the two prototype G2C brackets for my own '68.

It's going to cost me several thousand dollars to make a production run of the brackets. I have the money to do it, but I need more confirmations from people that would seriously buy the brackets, before I plunk down a lot of money to have them produced and then only a couple of people actually buy them.

I haven't made any definite commitments to make them out of alumium. I could have them made out of steel. --I would just have to get with the people at the machine shop to see what the difference in price would be in steel vs. the price they gave me for the structural aluminum brackets.

It just really depends on the demand I get from people, whether or not I make the plunge to have the G2C conversion brackets produced.

www.ultrastang.com

hobbyhorse said:
Ultrastang, I was wondering if there is any difference in track width with the hub spacer. I know the Granada hub is kinda thick.

With the Cobra brakes, you have to have a modern offset wheel, such as that from a late model Mustang. Early wheel's spokes were recessed back into the wheel near the center. Late model wheel's spokes are moved out toward the outer edge.

If you mount a late Mustang wheel on an early Mustang, it moves the wheel inward, so that the inner edge of the wheel touches the upper A-arm. A spacer is required to move the wheel back outward. Essentially, all the spacer does it to center the wheel inside the wheels well.

www.ultrastang.com

Well then, my question is would the conversion work without the spacer or would bracket not hold the caliper in the proper relationship with the rotor without the spacer. I have 17 inch wheels with a 4 3/4 inch back space and I am not interested in buying other wheels but I am looking for a cost effective brake upgrade for the granada spindle.

hobbyhorse said:
Well then, my question is would the conversion work without the spacer or would bracket not hold the caliper in the proper relationship with the rotor without the spacer. I have 17 inch wheels with a 4 3/4 inch back space and I am not interested in buying other wheels but I am looking for a cost effective brake upgrade for the granada spindle.

The wheel spacer really doesn't have so much to do with the G2C adapter bracket and caliper placement itself. That is mainly determined by the wheel hub's offset.

All the wheel spacer does is make it possible to mount the modern wheel/tire and push them back out to keep the lip of the wheel from being pressed up against the upper A-arm.

The spacer would not be necessary IF the wheel does not mount too far inward to touch the A-arm, and IF the wheel is big enough in diameter to fit over the caliper and 13" rotor. A wheel like this would have to be narrower than a production late model Mustang wheel.

www.ultrastang.com

ultrastang said:
The wheel spacer really doesn't have so much to do with the G2C adapter bracket and caliper placement itself. That is mainly determined by the wheel hub's offset.

All the wheel spacer does is make it possible to mount the modern wheel/tire and push them back out to keep the lip of the wheel from being pressed up against the upper A-arm.

The spacer would not be necessary IF the wheel does not mount too far inward to touch the A-arm, and IF the wheel is big enough in diameter to fit over the caliper and 13" rotor. A wheel like this would have to be narrower than a production late model Mustang wheel.

www.ultrastang.com
I think you would get more responces if you listed what will work and what IE to use this conversion you would need a 17" wheel from a late model car.