'71 wheel stud question

hossdoc

Nov 20, 2007
Weatherford, TX
I find myself in need of longer wheel studs for my '71 coupe. The car is drums all around for the moment. I have the measurements for the existing wheel studs but have two questions. First, I have seen several places that say their studs are not for use with wheel spacers. I will require a 1/2 inch spacer in the front and a 5/16 in the rear. Is this merely CYA or is it really not a good idea? Secondly, because the car is 4 wheel drums, I am going to need a shoulder on the bolt to keep the drums from flopping. Does anyone know were I can get the 1/2x20x3 studs with the correct knurl and shoulder size?

• Sponsors (?)

Spacers are fine so long as you don't go over 1/2".

Many people have sucessfully used them for many years. Only real complaints I've heard of are like what Platonic mentioned... they can sometime loosen. Especially with aluminum spacers. A little lock-tight (not the permanent stuff) and/or regular inspections should take care of this.

Personally, I've been using 1/2" spacers pn the rear wheels for 2 years now. Not a single problem.

Ok, so spacers are acceptable. But, what long studs are you guys running on your drum brakes? Who made them and what size are they?

I just went down to my local autoparts store with 1 of the old studs in hand. I said "I need the same but 1/2 inch longer". 10 minutes and $20 later I walked out of there with new studs.

Sorry, don't know what I have other than that.

For the record: If you are only going 1/2" longer, you shouldn't need to remove the axle to get the old studs out or the new studs in. Just need to remove the wheel and drum.