'73 Question . . .

D Durden

DEEP FAT FRY
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
Got a guy wanting to sell a '73 Grande, 351C-2V automatic, and Lisa and I are thinking about buying it. He wants $2,000 for it. Here's the low-down:

Body is STRAIGHT, primered, but not painted.
Interior is ROUGH (no dash), but it's there. It would need complete replacement.

Here's the numbers off the door:

65F
Color: 6B (no WAY I'd do the original color back!)
Trim: FF
Trans: X
Axe: 2
DSO: 21

What do you guys think/know/feel/etc . . . ??

Need to know something soon because he's putting it on the open market in a day or 2.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 73 vert and the ride in the 71-73's is way underrated.Had a 71 FB as well.I believe a Grande would be a nice reliable cruiser if kept stock.Congrats on finding each other by the way.

So you want a psychic reading? Or maybe a Vulcan mind meld would be better so I can transfer everything I know about these years to you.

You already have a 65 Stang so I assume you know what to look for in the rust area and have a grasp of the time/money/commitment involved in a restoration.

The biggest deal breaker with these years is cowl area rot, as repros are not available. The other critical area is the inner rear wheel wells, which some have recently said are available in repro, but I have yet to see proof of this.

$2,000 isn’t much to pay for any car. In the short term (next 2 years), are you looking for a project or a driver?

Without seeing it or any more info, I'd say buy it...

I agree about the cowl rot, that SUCKS...ours is shot, and it leaked long enough that the pass side torque box was effected. Same with the wheel cans-we just had one replaced, along with the whole rear quarter...

Yeah, I know cowl rot is the pits, but, eh, they make new steel every day. I don't do any of my own work, anyway, so feh.

What I want to do is to be able to pickup this car for a REALLY good price and fix it up over time. One of my best friends has had a '73 Mach I (real one) for about 16 years, and both my wife and I have enjoyed driving it on cruises. Heh, I got him hooked with my '65 (had for 18+ years).

Pisser about the car is that it needs paint to look good (it's already primed for protection), and that's pricey ALTHOUGH the body is good. One floor pan is gone ($100 . . . who cares), but I have to take the interior out, anyway.

What's the parts market on the '73? I mean, I can get ANYTHING for a '65. Is it close to the same for a '73?

About the only mods I can think of right now is perhaps retiring the 351C for a 351W and an OD tranny. And we'd probably want the AC put back in. And probably suspension upgrades and read discs. I figure it's already got a 9" . . . ?

Have NO idea what the tranny is.

I know I can recoup my losses if I sell the Cleveland motor. People have a real love for those things (I'm a Windsor guy).

It's DEFINITELY going to need wheels and tires. DEFINITELY.

I don't care if the car is stock or not. I want it driveable and safe more than anything. All of our cars are able to take long trips, and I'd need the same from this one.

Any more info guys?

my buddy was parting out a 73 grande, just like yours it sounds. 351C auto (which is probably an AMX btw). I snagged the discs and the 9" rear from it. I remember finding a lot of rust tearing the car apart. in different spots than my 67. He always complained that parts were so much harder to come by for the big stangs, but i have noticed a few more companys stocking 71-73 parts now. I like the steering in the 73 better, no more ram assist. and sorry for the shameless plug but he still has some parts available. i.e. speedo and tach, dash shell, hood etc...

71-73 parts are harder to find. look for rust in the cowl, shock tower area, torque boxes, wheel wells, lower sheetmetal, and the trunk. there has been an increase in reproduction parts for the 71-73, but dont think you can get everything. theres still alot to be desired. you are better than me, i have a 71 cougar, and there is very minimal available as far as reproduction. forget about body panels and most of the interior. not exactly sure what all is out there for the mustang though, i have not picked up a new mustang parts catalog in a few years, but i see more new stuff on ebay all the time.

We've decided against it. The "poison pill" was the wheels and tires. They're POS drag tires and skinnies up front. We'd be out as much on wheels and tires as we would the car (almost).

Between that and no paint/interior, even WITH straight metal, it's more than we want to go after right now.

at least you came to the decision before buying the car. so many people buy the car, then decide its too much work and sell it at a loss. maybe you can talk them down to $750 in a few weeks......then it might be more appealing...

Honestly, it's too good for a parts car. I mean, it runs and drives GREAT. Anyone who kills this pony for parts deserves the same treatment! LOL!