8 in center section

Jan 17, 2004
Alright got a quick question regarding my center section. It has been about 3 years since I changed my diff oil myself the last two times I paid someone. So last time it was changed was about a year ago. All went well until I started cleaning the third member. I noticed the differential could move side to side about 1/8 - 1.4 in. I checked the ring and pinion gear and wear is smooth. the pinion bearings are tight. I can turn the pinion about 15 degrees clockwise or counter clockwise before it engages the differential. Is this normal? I checked all my books and it states checking and adjusting back lash but never how to.

The dif wasn't makign noise, leaking, or not operating properly, however flows do mask some noise. :D

Is there a way to adjust this play?
Did I found a porblem to be before it got expensive?
advice?

Oh its a 67 8in.

• Sponsors (?)

Exactly what is moving compared to what?

Is the pinion moving that much in relation to the chunk?
(Pinion bearings bad)
Is the chunk moving in relation to the housing?
(Chunk bolts loose, would be leaking badly IMO)
What exactly is moving?

The rotation of the pinion before contacting the gear is okay.
It will never, even new, be tight between the teeth.

The pinion yoke is not moving that much before the pinion itself moves, is it?
That would not be good.

The side to side play is adjustable. Both carrier bearings are backed by a threaded collar with holes around the circumference. The collar is locked in place by a small bolt holding an L shaped clip that goes into one of the holes, By screwing them in or out, the carrier can be moved left or right to set the backlash and bearing pre-load. It's very doable at home if you have any experience with 8" or 9" rears. If the rear was quiet, your bearings are most likely ok.

Update. Thursday I sent it to Bill Thomas Enterprises. HE stated my bearing actually had spun on the center section. $310 for a rebuilt center section new bearings.

I called Performance and about 30 other shops. Most were quoting more then a new 3rd member from currie.

Ill let you all know if its a good job hopefully Monday evening.