82 Mustang

Migsr

Apr 13, 2016
Hello im new i have 82 mustang 5.0 gt foxbody having issues with power to the inside of vehicle get power from battery to starter solenoid but nothing after use to get power but brother accidently crossed jumped vehicle if replace ignition switch or eec fuse give power again?

• Sponsors (?)

Fuse links are inside the wiring harness that runs form the starter solenoid to the fuse panel and ignition switch. I don't have a diagram for an 82 Mustang, but I will post one for later models; they should be similar.

64326d1287785504-fusible-link-burned-up-need-help-87-93-5.0-mustang-fuse-links.gif

Fuse links come with a current rating just like fuses. A clue as to what current they are designed for is to look at the size wire they protect.

Fuse link material is available at most good auto parts stores. There may even be a fuse link already made up specifically for your car. Just be sure to solder the connection and cover it with heat shrink tubing.

Heat shrink tubing is available at Radio Shack or other electronics supply stores.

See the video below for help on soldering and heat shrinking wiring. There is a lot of useful help and hints if you don’t do automotive electrical work all the time.

View: http://youtu.be/uaYdCRjDr4A

For free automotive electrical training, see Automotive Training and Resource Site . I have personally reviewed the material and it is very good.

Attachments

• attachment.php?attachmentid=52294&stc=1&d=1192414749.gif
    attachment.php?attachmentid=52294&stc=1&d=1192414749.gif
    37.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 64326d1287785504-fusible-link-burned-up-need-help-87-93-5.0-mustang-fuse-links.gif
    64326d1287785504-fusible-link-burned-up-need-help-87-93-5.0-mustang-fuse-links.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: 1 user
Fuse links are inside the wiring harness that runs form the starter solenoid to the fuse panel and ignition switch. I don't have a diagram for an 82 Mustang, but I will post one for later models; they should be similar.

Fuse links come with a current rating just like fuses. A clue as to what current they are designed for is to look at the size wire they protect.

Fuse link material is available at most good auto parts stores. There may even be a fuse link already made up specifically for your car. Just be sure to solder the connection and cover it with heat shrink tubing.

Heat shrink tubing is available at Radio Shack or other electronics supply stores.

See the video below for help on soldering and heat shrinking wiring. There is a lot of useful help and hints if you don’t do automotive electrical work all the time.

For free automotive electrical training, see Automotive Training and Resource Site . I have personally reviewed the material and it is very

For free automotive electrical training, see Automotive Training and Resource Site . I have personally reviewed the material and it is very good.

Thank you i will definitely do that as far the fuse links i would have to open up harness to get to single fuse link or would i cut and solder section

You will have to carefully open up the wiring harness up by the starter solenoid. Once you have identified the defective fuse link, you get to cut all of it out. Solder one end of the new fuse link in place, and then slide the heat shrink tubing over the soldered joint. I often use the soldering gun or iron to provide heat to shrink the tubing. Once it has cooled, slide a new section of the heat shrink tubing on the wire/link. Then solder the other end of the fuel link to the wire and slide the heat shrink in place over the solder joint. Apply heat to the tubing and you should be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
(Radio Shack - that's funny! I think there are two stores left in the whole state. I used to spend enough there to keep at least one employee in a job just with my projects.)

Napa and Advance Auto have pretty good selections of automotive electrical fix it stuff. A multimeter with continuity or ohm meter may be a good deal to help.

BTW, I have some extra punctuationmarks to share, and you can use them whenever you need them. I often. use. too. many marks.
........ ,,,,,,,,,,????????!!!!'''"";;::

(Radio Shack - that's funny! I think there are two stores left in the whole state. I used to spend enough there to keep at least one employee in a job just with my projects.)

Napa and Advance Auto have pretty good selections of automotive electrical fix it stuff. A multimeter with continuity or ohm meter may be a good deal to help.

BTW, I have some extra punctuationmarks to share, and you can use them whenever you need them. I often. use. too. many marks.
........ ,,,,,,,,,,????????!!!!'''"";;::

7991LXnSHO i ordered a multimeter to check fuse links. Not many napa where i live oreillys or autozone should have good selection as well?

7991LXnSHO i ordered a multimeter to check fuse links. Not many napa where i live oreillys or autozone should have good selection as well?
Try Home Depot for a multimeter, but don't go too cheap. The same thing can be said for Harbor Freight Tools or eBay. I got both a Triplett 9005 and a Fluke 27 for about $30 each from eBay.