83 Carb Popping

Bristang5

Oct 8, 2010
I have an 83 with 5.0 a carburetor. ..slight cam. Was running rich and I replaced the plugs...found the gasket under carb was leaking exhaust so I sealed it off...now the engine is quite fresh so timing chain has less then 5000 miles ad do the valves...but now when I hit the gas or rev it I get popping back through the carb now...could when it was running rich I took a valve out? I checked compression and all Cylinders were the same..no ideas why it is popping. ..thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like an ignition or fuel problem. Double check your timing,plug wires are on correctly,fuel filter, proper heat range of new spark plugs,etc. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I doubt it's a valve. More likely a tuning issue.

I have an 83 with 5.0 a carburetor. ..slight cam. Was running rich and I replaced the plugs...found the gasket under carb was leaking exhaust so I sealed it off...now the engine is quite fresh so timing chain has less then 5000 miles ad do the valves...but now when I hit the gas or rev it I get popping back through the carb now...could when it was running rich I took a valve out? I checked compression and all Cylinders were the same..no ideas why it is popping. ..thanks

It also may be beneficial if you clarified as to whether the " popping" noise just happened once after stabbing the throttle, or is consistently happening.
One Pop may be a lean backfire typically fixable by adjusting the accelerator pump stroke, or squirter size. Multiple pops can be related to ignition timing, bad wires/cap/rotor. There's a myriad of help topics to help you diagnose an electrical bug on this forum.

I did go up one heat range when I changed the plugs...

Let me define the popping...when you hold steady with no load it fires properly. When I rev it it mostly pops on the declining RPM but will sometime pop as soon as you hit the throttle. The poping can be as quite as crackling in the carb or can push back through the carb.
Carb is two year old edelbrock 625.

Tonight new wires and cap....

And not trying to be an ass but those carbs are crap. Not the first time I've heard of this with the eddy carbs. Had one on a truck years ago that seemed to never run right. I swapped to a Holley and never had a problem. Not positive it is the carb but it is a possibility if it still does it after your wire change etc. I'd look there.

Ok...update...New wires, cap and rotor. still pops....next I will put my Holley on it but IDK...the popping was louder on occasion...

On the EB carb I understand what you are saying but I have had more issues with Holleys then EB's...funny how that goes.