86 LX window issue

captahab

Jul 18, 2010
Barnesville Pa.
Any help with this would be appreciated. The passenger side power window stopped working, it wont go up or down. I checked via test light, that I have power going into the switch. I have power coming out of the switch at that plug. I put power from the battery to the power window motor plug and was able to get the motor to raise and lower the window. I plugged the switch back into the motor and was able to get the motor to raise the window but not lower it. any opinions as to whether it would be the motor or the switch ?

Thanks......

• Sponsors (?)

Since then motor works OK when you direct connect it to the battery, the switch or wiring is the culprit. Take the switch out and clean it with non-flammable brake parts cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. That fixed an intermittent problem with mine.

I have some diagrams that may help...being that I am lazy and busy, you'll have to copy them and rotate them so that they are easily readable.

See http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosting/jeremy/86 electrical & vacuum troubleshooting manual.zip you can download the whole set for an 86 Mustang courtesy of Jeremy, AKA V8only.

60.gif

61.gif

62.gif

63.gif

Take the switch apart and clean all the little contacts, its very common. Ive done a bunch of them just get a little flat screwdriver and you can carefully pop it apart to expose the brass contact inside the switch and use a piece of fine grit sandpaper and clean off the corrosion.