87 4 cyl brake question

87whtecoupe

Jan 28, 2009
i know this belongs in the 2.3l section, but i guess 5.0 guys have more experience in conversions.

i have an 87 4 cyl that im slowly converting to a V8, im starting with the brakes and suspension.

So far i got the rear end in, and i have all the brake stuff for the front from a 92 5.0.

I got everything rotors,spindles,calipers,hubs,shocks,and the brake booster.

Will the brake booster bolt right in or is the shape of the firewall different?

Will the 4 cyl master cylinder work with the V8 brake booster?

thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

The firewall is the same, not shure on the booster. I tried to put 90 5.0 front brakes/spindles on my 86 and found out there is about a 1/4 inch difference in the struts. (where the attach to the spindles)the wheel bearings and a few other things are different too. I've hav 3 4cyl 86, 86, 90 and 2 5.0 86, 90. The body is the same on them all. Just make shure you keep track of what you change. It might sound stupid but when it comes time to replace brakes/bearings.... you will want to know what year/ eng/some times they need a vin to get the right part.

Booster will swap fine. No need to swap the MC as it is the same part.

87+ spindles will bolt up to the 4-banger struts but you will need to sandwich washed between spindle and strut as a spacer, or run 87+ V8 struts.

After that just bolt on the rotors, calipers, lines and bleed the brakes and you now have crappy Fox 5.0 brakes. :)