Fox 87-89 Steering column with 93 gauge cluster?

carDaniel15

Sep 7, 2022
California
If I were to swap a airbag steering column for a tilt steering column, would I be able to use a 7 digit odometer gauge cluster? And/or would it just be better to just buy one of those 5.0 resto digital gauge clusters MADE for the 87-89 cluster?

• Sponsors (?)

It would be easier to get a digital dash. You'd need a bunch of stuff to swap a newer dash in your car.

Yes, you can use a 90-93 cluster with the 87-89 column. There’s actually more clearance as the 90-93 cluster has a clearance hump for the airbag column

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you can use a 90-93 cluster with the 87-89 column. There’s actually more clearance as the 90-93 cluster has a clearance hump for the airbag column

I believe you. I thought there were some wires that needed to be swapped in the cluster harness connector and the surround needed to be changed as well. I remember something that didn't work when I attempted it years ago.

I believe you. I thought there were some wires that needed to be swapped in the cluster harness connector and the surround needed to be changed as well. I remember something that didn't work when I attempted it years ago.

Well i've done the parts mash-up the OP is alluding to. I have the 90+ dash in my '88 and when i was installing that back in the early 2000's i did some experimenting with some of the other parts from the 1990 parts car. So i tried sticking the 90+ cluster and guage surround to see what works. It did physically fit fine. I didn't do into wiring though.

In the end, i stuck the 87-89 cluster and gauge pod on the 1990 dash. It all fit fine.

Of course, some more info of what the OP is doing would help.

Last edited:
@2000xp8 - I am pretty sure he is wanting to swap the air bag column out and install a tilt column and wanting to know if he can utilize the 90+ "airbag" cluster.

What I am not understanding is why the OP wants a 7 digit odometer as they are rare. My understanding is this started in 1993 and was only required by New York so they are not very common. I had to go noodle around on that as I thought some of the Foxes got them but could not remember. Read it on the Corral so take it with a grain of salt:

Regardless tracking down a million mile odometer cluster would not be on the top of my list at all.

If the OP's car is a 93, i think there are a few more wiring changes that would need to be made as well. I think the column swap is a bit easier in the 90-92 cars.