87-93 COUPE QUARTER GLASS

88scgt

Founding Member
Jul 26, 2002
Pt.Charlotte,FL
I have a set of these windows and was working on refurbishing the black moulding that has the sun damage that we get here in Florida. I used an epoxy product that is for this type of repair. They came out pretty good. I was checking into replacing them and found them to be very expensive. I'm wondering what other people are doing. Maybe I'll put them for sale in the classified section since I have an extra set.

• Sponsors (?)

I take mine out of the car, tape up the glass and start sanding. Then I prime them. I do this until they are smooth. I just used a rattle can flexible,buildeable primer. Then I painted it with a flat black and then a low luster clear coating. The pair I cleared have held their own very well. I didn't clear the first set I did, and over 2 months the rain, and weather made them have tiny tiny tiny bubbles. They never popped but you could see them. I used the same products on both, jsut no clear on the ones I had a problem with.

Some company will refinsih this for you for about 400+shipping. HAHA...I did just as good of a job with the second pair for about 30 dollars!!!

I was just thinking about this today....i was thinking something like jb weld would work for filling the pits and then smooth it down and it should never pit again unless you chip it.

What ever you use just don't bend them once they are primed or have the filler on them. They will crack and you will have to strip them down again. I bent mine on accident and I just sanded it good and reprimed it. No matter what I did the spirder cracks kept coming back even after I painted it....it pissed me off!!

I swear I just saw some window molding covers (or something like that) that UPR just came out with. They were their brushed aluminum or whatever they use, and they adhere to the stock black moldings via glue. I think they only come in the polished or brushed finish, but I bet you can take them and have them powdercoated or something. I tried to find the on UPR's website, but it is acting funky right now.

What ever you use just don't bend them once they are primed or have the filler on them. They will crack and you will have to strip them down again. I bent mine on accident and I just sanded it good and reprimed it. No matter what I did the spirder cracks kept coming back even after I painted it....it pissed me off!!

Did you use Flexible Primer and Flexible Paint when you did your Windows?

I swear I just saw some window molding covers (or something like that) that UPR just came out with. They were their brushed aluminum or whatever they use, and they adhere to the stock black moldings via glue. I think they only come in the polished or brushed finish, but I bet you can take them and have them powdercoated or something. I tried to find the on UPR's website, but it is acting funky right now.

was that just bad a recollection? they look like black plastic to me (in your next post's link)! I'm not interested in the black plastic covers, but if there is such a thing as polished or brushed covers, i'd sure like to see how they look!

was that just bad a recollection? they look like black plastic to me (in your next post's link)! I'm not interested in the black plastic covers, but if there is such a thing as polished or brushed covers, i'd sure like to see how they look!

Yeah the black Plastic Covers do not look good, not so sure Metal Covers would look to good either, it actually sounds kinda Ricey.