Interior and Upholstery 87 Convertible Top dowel pin not lining up?

R82148V

May 26, 2020
Hey All,

Thank you everyone for all your help over the years with my restore project.

As the subject states, I'm having an issue with lining up the driver side dowel guide pin.
The passenger pin is perfectly aligned making it a breeze to lock that side of the top down.
The driver side pin is about a 1/2 inch before the locking plate making it super hard to clamp the D side down.
Are there any adjustments I can do to bring the driver side of the top closer to the windshield? Can't find anything on the net.

I see a ton of adjustments on each side of the back seat but what is what?

DRIVERS SIDE
1709933297705.png

PASSENGER SIDE
1709933355339.png

Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

No convertible experts here? Prolly not but let me ask some questions then I'll see what my Magic Book says.
Is this always been like this or was there work done to the top recently?
Tell us the story.

over time it seemed to be getting worse. I did install SFC and everything else seems to be aligned as in doors and such. I did just have a new rag top installed recently and even the upholstery guy said the driver side is awfully tough to align that pin to latch.
top itself is level and moves without any issues. Almost as if something has moved slightly out of adjustment

Speaking as if this were mine, I would take it to another shop to get a second opinion.
Let me ask this, was the top alignment getting worse before the top replacement?
well it was tough before the new top was installed but now very tough.

yeeeeah you’re right about going to another shop for a second opinion. was trying avoid that but it’s sounding like the way to go

If your doors line up to the body and fender and the glass lines up to the A pillar ( beside windshield ) there probably isn't a major issue with the car and is isolated to the top.

I've done a bunch of convertible tops. More than I can count. A new top will be tighter than an old one and needs to be stretched to latch. Usually, sitting in the hot sun will cause the top to stretch and make it easier to latch. After a while it should kindof cure to the stretched length. The front header bloodition to the pin slots is determined by a measurement from the main hoop to the header ( the part a t the "Hip " and to the windshield frame. Looking up at the ribs above you can sort-of tell if the material is positioned correctly. These measurements should be done and frame adjusted before the new top vinyl goes on. The vinyl is stapled in various tack straps and would have to be taken apart to move it.

Unlatch the top and put it back about 1/4. Unzip the rear window curtain by the hip. If the top now reaches the pin holes the window curtain is too tight. If it still doesn't reach take the 1/2 inch nuts off located on the same side you are having issue on. Might have to loosen a couple at the bottom of the rear window curtain. The vinyl is stapled to pieces of framework that slides over studs back there. The holes in the frame are square to allow some adjustment. If the top doesn't reach with that rear side off of the studs then you need the vinyl on the header pryed off and restapled....or the hip position isn't correct.

It's very hard to diagnose a top issue without actually being there.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
If your doors line up to the body and fender and the glass lines up to the A pillar ( beside windshield ) there probably isn't a major issue with the car and is isolated to the top.

I've done a bunch of convertible tops. More than I can count. A new top will be tighter than an old one and needs to be stretched to latch. Usually, sitting in the hot sun will cause the top to stretch and make it easier to latch. After a while it should kindof cure to the stretched length. The front header bloodition to the pin slots is determined by a measurement from the main hoop to the header ( the part a t the "Hip " and to the windshield frame. Looking up at the ribs above you can sort-of tell if the material is positioned correctly. These measurements should be done and frame adjusted before the new top vinyl goes on. The vinyl is stapled in various tack straps and would have to be taken apart to move it.

Unlatch the top and put it back about 1/4. Unzip the rear window curtain by the hip. If the top now reaches the pin holes the window curtain is too tight. If it still doesn't reach take the 1/2 inch nuts off located on the same side you are having issue on. Might have to loosen a couple at the bottom of the rear window curtain. The vinyl is stapled to pieces of framework that slides over studs back there. The holes in the frame are square to allow some adjustment. If the top doesn't reach with that rear side off of the studs then you need the vinyl on the header pryed off and restapled....or the hip position isn't correct.

It's very hard to diagnose a top issue without actually being there.
The top was done last May though the car only sits in a garage so it doesn't really see day light. This is a canvas top and not vinyl if that makes a difference. I'll try the window unzip idea and see if that makes a difference.

Yeah, doors line up to the body , fender and glass to A pillar and windshield.
Top looks balanced and goes up and down nicely.
All I need to do is get the driver side guide pin 1/4" - 1/2" more forward. Right now the pin sits right on the edge of the strike plate. It does go in with assistance making latching difficult.
Passenger side guide pin lines up perfectly dead center making latching easy.

Since you've done tops before, what are those nuts above the locking handles? Would they be adjustments that I'm looking for?

I feel like this should be made into a PDF and put into our stangnet resources.

It's a Ford doc, but unable to find it anywhere
I have looked everywhere for a PDF of this with no luck..
I started to look for images of pages of this book to piece them together to make a book and post it here. hahah
I actually got pretty far but cant seem to find Page 16 among some other..
Page 16 shows how to Fore/Aft the top which is what i need. :oops:

I have a mustang top manual at home I'll try to get it out later and post some pics.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any wrinkles or waves in four top fabric ? Are all the areas firm when pressed down on when closed ?