87 Gt Starting Issues

glen wilhoit

Jun 15, 2016
glen wilhoitNew Member

Hell everyone, I'm new to this group and look forward to future conversations. I love Mustangs and own 5 and counting. Although my most current one I bought 6 months ago (87 GT convertible) is giving me some starting issues. After I bought the car I noticed an intermittent issue where now and then when turning the ignition key nothing happened, after a couple turns it would start fine. Then it would start fine for a few times and then the problem would show up again. I replaced the starter solenoid but now a different problem showed up. Now about every three to four starts, when I turn the key to start the car the motor keeps cranking and I have to rush to disconnect the battery cable to stop the engine from cranking, even pulling the small ignition wire from the solenoid will not shut down engine cranking so I don't think it's an ignition problem. I even thought I bought a defective solenoid so I bought a 2nd new solenoid and on the 4th start (not consecutive but while out driving) the continuous cranking happened again. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You.

• Sponsors (?)