Fuel 87 vert - Supply and Return line removal ? - under car lines

R82148V

May 26, 2020
Hello,

I'm completely stumped here. I need to remove and install new Supply / Return lines from the tank to engine and for the life of me, I can't seem to see how they come out with all the bends and how they are routed. How do you snake them out? Is there any way without cutting them out? If you cut them out then how do you install the new ones? I have everything disconnected from front to back including the tank removed.

As always, Thank you!

-Rick:thinking:

• Sponsors (?)

I can’t really help with a detailed response, but I can tell you that it can be done. I’ve done it.

you need to pull the passenger fender liner and unbolt the strut from the spindle to snake the front of the line out.

from there it’s a difficult game of carefully bending and trying to figure out how to wiggle the lines out. Dont recall how I did it, but I did do it on an 1987+ with everything in place.

on my car, I had trans and rear axle out, which made it easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Did it in my ‘86 also. Definitely remove inner fender liner. I remember having the whole line almost perpendicular to the side of the car as I first started feeding it in, on the re-install.
I won’t say it was easy and I did have to tweak some of the bends back into shape a little once I had it situated. Take your time and you’ll get it.

I also did this before I installed sub frame connectors. I would imagine if you’re dealing with those, it would be a whole different animal.

Thank you.. I was able to take off the passenger fender liner. It does make a world of difference with getting more room. It makes sense with being perpendicular to the side of the car and sort of feed it in while twisting and gentle bending..

Question. Do stock lines eventually rust on the inside or do they just collect sediment? The cars been sitting for some years. The outside of the lines are a bit rusty in a few small spots but thats about it..

I hear you M5L5. Makes sense. I suppose the only way to find out would be to get some fluid in the lines and blow it out to see what comes out.. Its been also sitting for about that time too. Though it would be a good idea to snake the lines out and clean up the rusted spots.

I just removed the lines from my '93. I had the motor/trans and exhaust system already removed so it made it a bit easier. I did remove the lines as one piece but, it turns out I had to cut out the center section and just used the front and rear sections in my '54 Ford with 5.0/AOD combo.
Do you really need to replace the lines? Remember, it's a closed system and not much is gonna get in there. I just filled mine up with SimpleGreen and blew them out. Yours should be good.

I just removed the lines from my '93. I had the motor/trans and exhaust system already removed so it made it a bit easier. I did remove the lines as one piece but, it turns out I had to cut out the center section and just used the front and rear sections in my '54 Ford with 5.0/AOD combo.
Do you really need to replace the lines? Remember, it's a closed system and not much is gonna get in there. I just filled mine up with SimpleGreen and blew them out. Yours should be good.
That's exactly what I was trying to get away with. replacing. I would like to remove the lines to take care of the spotty surface rust but it just seem like a gigantic PITA since everything is still on the car. Perhaps I'll attempt the surface clean up with it still routed underneath, but detached to make it someone easier..

You can use Simple Green in the lines and blow out with Air? That would be fantastic! I'm working out of an attached garage and I try to keep all heavy parts cleaners to a minimum to help keep the smell from radiating throughout the home..

Simple Green works wonders but I couldn't find anything on the net about using it in the lines. It wont create any flash rust or stuff like that?

You got me excited!! hahah

I cleaned up the outsides of mine with ScotchBrite pads, and they looked like new. The car is always garaged, and less than a year later, it’s showing small signs of the surface rust again. I would suggest spraying them with clear before they go back on. Wish I had done it on mine.

I cleaned up the outsides of mine with ScotchBrite pads, and they looked like new. The car is always garaged, and less than a year later, it’s showing small signs of the surface rust again. I would suggest spraying them with clear before they go back on. Wish I had done it on mine.
Great!! Thanks for all the advice. Makes me more confident that they are more or less not internally rusted. to clean them on the outside with scotchbrite pad and simple Green / compressed air on the inside..

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE

So before I think about taking out the hard lines, I injected some full concentrated simple green into each line and blew it out from front to back. I did this twice each line. In the container catching the SG being blown out, I see an extremely small amount of ever so small black particles that when dry they turn to dust or smear like soot.. I also got maybe (2) very small flakes of what looks to me as rust? It too just crumbles when dry.
Is this something that I need to be concerned about? I dont want to spend $400 + on lines if I dont have too. Plus the headache of just getting them out and in is giving me anxiety.. haha
Outside the hard lines do have some surface rust but only in (2) small sections and not bad at all.

What do you think?