88 Fox Gt Project

Kenz_88_Fox

Aug 30, 2014
I have a 1988 GT that I just got and want to make my project car. I am looking to get at the very minimum 325whp and was wondering the best way to go about getting there.

according to the guy I bought it from, the specs on it are 306 with a mild cam tremec t-5 with pro 5.0 shifter 3.73 gears BBK long tube headers H-pipe and hi flow cats with a few other minor things done.

I've only owned the car for about a month and a week or so after buying it I heard a terrible knock in the tranny (think a driveshaft bolt or fly wheel bolt backed out and is bouncing around and haven't had the time or space to take a look at it) so I'm thinking now would be a good time to rebuild the car the way I want it and so I know what all is done.

any suggestions as for what I should do would be great, I've done a lot of research and just cannot figure it out.

should I keep my motor and just do a fresh rebuild with bigger cam etc? buy a new motor like a 347?

also with adding this hp would the tremec t-5 hold up or would I need a better tranny?

I appreciate any help I can get, looking to stay around the $4,000 range as I'm a full time college student and can only work part time

• Sponsors (?)

Well first of all find the knocking around sound,fix it then have se fun with it. In the process look for a 351 and build that up. The saying goes and still sticks " there's no replacement for displacement" 347 is a great build. But all in all 351 is the best way to go. If your looking to keep the same block try a 347 or a 331. They make good power till about the 480hp range then they start splitting the blocks. A 351 windsor is good all the way till 750 hp but I've seen guys running almost 1000hp on a stock block with the proper machining.
If looking to stay injected, good idea now to look for an 89 foxbody and convert your car to a mass air flow. Then with a good tune your Well on your way to build from there. The speed density 1988 computer does not like modifications. It just starts giving hell of a fits.
If you do maf swap bigger injectors heads,cam,intake bigger maf, bigger throttle body, under drive pulleys and with a good tune you should bet the 325 hp

How you get the HP desired is a function of the size of your wallet....

The 325 rear wheel HP means that you are making about 350-375 HP at the flywheel seeing that there is 10%-15% loss in the driveline. There are no cheap and reliable ways to get that: big HP requires big $$$. You are looking at between $2500-$4500 to do the job right with new parts.

The simple way is to add 6-12 PSI of pressurized induction via a supercharger or turbocharger. Neither one will be cheap, but you can still use the stock block and maybe even the stock heads. You will need a new fuel system - fuel pump, injectors, intake manifold, throttle body and fuel pressure regulator or FMU. You will also need a Mass Air Conversion, MAF and custom tune to make it run good and be reliable.

If you don't do the boosted thing, you are looking at a 327-331 stroker or a 342-347 stroker and some aftermarket high flow heads. Unless you have lots of previous engine building experience, that means you buy a long block already assembled. Along with that is the requirement of a new fuel system - fuel pump, injectors, intake manifold, throttle body and fuel pressure regulator. You will also need a Mass Air Conversion, MAF and custom tune to make it run good and be reliable.

Last edited:
I had my last build dyno'd last summer. Put 316hp at the wheels. Not quite 325 but it's close. That was with an "out of the box" 600 slayer QFT carb too tho.

-Ran factory heads with beehive springs
:$170
-9.7:1 comp.
-Summit flat tappet cam
-.620int./.644exh. Lift w/ 1.6s
-304°int./314°exh Adv. Dur.
-Advanced 4°
:$100 cam & lifters
-Victor jr. Intake
:$325
-600cfm Quickfuel slayer carb off eBay
:$300
MSD E CURVE distributor/ Blaster 2 coil
:$410 for both
Factory crank and rods with speed pro forged pistons.
:That was already done when i got mine as well

It was definitely a budget build. Everyone said I was running a 347 and just wouldn't say, but it was just a 302 bored .030 over with good induction