Progress Thread 88 Gt T-top- Project problem child

Man, you are putting me to shame. All I have accomplished on mine since buying it a couple months ago is a 5 lug swap, and I am yet to do the final bleeding as well. My factory brakes and front wheel bearings were SHOT, so it had to be job number 1. Your new windows look really good, nice score there. How are things going with the new kiddo?

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, it's been a month and i think i'm in love with your mustang and i haven't heard anything about it. Surely there's been something here?
Yes, a little. The 5 lug is now working properly. I'm working through the mechanical stuff before I start the paint. I have a egr code and I think it might be running rich. I dealt with a exhaust leak, the headers have a slip joint on one pipe that's been problematic. About to go work on it now actually. I'll find something to post pics of.

Reactions: 1 user
Sooo I found this in my kick panel... don't look stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    398.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    759.5 KB · Views: 160
Ok, posting a to do list. Otherwise I'll keep doing random jobs on it.

1. Finish bleeding brakes and set the toe for test driving.
2. Deal with any running or driving issues, vac leaks , and codes from previous mods. Missing charcoal canister, leaky exhaust ect
3. Then evaluate the need the need to add cats or not.
4. Then start engine bay clean up /wire tuck
5. Revisit list.

1. Brakes bled
2. Exhaust leaks and codes dealt with

Just need time to get the alignment and I'll start the wire tuck

Stolen from another post. But this is about what I'm going for. Cleaned Up fenders, clean stock looking under hood components.

Anyone know what the factory 88 engine bay would have been pained? Body color or that gray color? I'll be going body color.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 147
It's hard to tell what is what in mine. It's got tons of over spray from old paint jobs on it. I'm not set up to pull the motor but I'm gonna pull everything else. Get it cleaned up. Do any needed repairs. Paint. Swap boosters, and when I put it back together I'll deal with the wires and what not. Once the fenders are off I can really evaluate some things.

I'm thinking it'd make sense to paint the bay and cowl at the same time. Then once it's done I can cover it while I dive into the rest

It's hard to tell what is what in mine. It's got tons of over spray from old paint jobs on it. I'm not set up to pull the motor but I'm gonna pull everything else. Get it cleaned up. Do any needed repairs. Paint. Swap boosters, and when I put it back together I'll deal with the wires and what not. Once the fenders are off I can really evaluate some things.

I'm thinking it'd make sense to paint the bay and cowl at the same time. Then once it's done I can cover it while I dive into the rest
Yep, get your cowl painted at the same time. It'll look nicer and no visible masking lines that way.

With it being a t top I figure it can be broken down into sections.

The removable body parts
Engine bay and cowl
Front roof and a pillars
T top frame
Rear roof/ quarts / door frames

How I do it will depend on how confident I feel with painting at the time. Once it gets warmer I plan to practice on some spare body parts

Reactions: 1 users