89 GT Restoration Project...

cfelix7017

May 5, 2008
Im a brand new member, so first of all I would like to say Hi to everyone.

I figured I would start this thread to keep track of my own progress and share with everyone here what I have plans for.

This site has been a big help so far, and I've only had the car for a week and a half. This is my fourth mustang and Im only 24. I've decided that Im gonna make this one the nicest so far.

I began my project this past Saturday by pulling the motor and trans. The car runs great and has quite a few engine mods from the previous owner, but im pulling the motor to paint the engine bay and hide all the under hood wiring. The car is an original white GT, but I think Im gonna paint it red. Im a manager at a local body shop, so thats gonna make this whole project a lot easier :nice:. I have a lot of plans for this car.

Here is where Im at after day one...
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'll be updating the thread throughout the whole process.
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

im almost done with the same project, its not bad, you've got it pretty easy compared to me my car was all covered with undercoating. make sure you post a progress thread and ask any questions you have theres a few guys who really know their ****.

im almost done with the same project, its not bad, you've got it pretty easy compared to me my car was all covered with undercoating. make sure you post a progress thread and ask any questions you have theres a few guys who really know their ****.

I've read your thread... Seems like a major PAI.

The time consuming part is gonna be smoothing the aprons and filling all those holes in the engine bay.

I hope to have it back on the road in the next 2 months.

Yeah they're the Edelbrock performer aluminum heads. The car also has 3.73 gears, E cam, BBK shorty headers, BBK 70mm throttle body w/ spacer, and a bigger mass air meter (not sure which brand). The motor has also been bored to a 306, and the previous owner also says it has all forged internals. He gave me receipts for all the parts, but the receipt for the built motor was a hand written receipt, so Im not if I believe it or not. I guess I could pull a head off and see what it looks like.

Im gonna pull the valve covers, intake, and headers either tonight or tomorrow to send them to be powdercoated. Im curious to see if it has roller rockers as well.

Here's a small update. I removed the valve covers, intake manifold, throttle body & spacer, and headers to send out for power coating. Im gonna go with a ceramic chrome coating on the headers and a standard chrome power coat on the other parts. They should be finished by this weekend so I'll post some pics of the parts when they're competed. Found out that the motor does have a set of 1.6 roller rockers on it too.

Picture014.jpg

Also got a shot of the interior. Like I said, pretty clean but could use carpet and a stupid ash tray door.

Picture015.jpg

I made some progress this weekend. I'll post some pics tonight. I have the whole right side apron smoothed and filled, and the wiring hidden on both sides. Its coming along well so far...

You're going to lose the fireing order on the rad support!

I saw the welded seams on the passenger side: looks good and I can imagine that it is a ton of work.

Ha ha. THe previous owner had written that on there with a sharpie. I just figured out what it was the other day. Actually not a bad idea if it didn't look so ridiculous...

It is a TON of work. I stripped the firewall down this past weekend. That brake booster is a total PAI. I ordered a 93 Cobra booster to put back in after the engine bay is painted since Im going 5 lug and rear disk. I figured now was the time to do it. I should be working on the drivers side tonight, so I'll post some more pics later tonight or tomorrow. Im hoping to have this sucker painted by next week.

Which brings me to another topic.... Im pretty sure I want the car bright red. Any other suggestions??? Im gonna be running Chrome 18" saleens. I need to decide on a color before the engine bay is ready!!!!

Got my parts back from the powder coater this weekend. I ended up getting everything coated in a bright silver metallic. Here are a few shots.
Picture018.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Everything turned out pretty well. The headers came out REALLY well. I ended up polishing the pwder coat. I got the valve covers, intake manifold, headers, and thermostat housing done.

Im hoping to have the engine bay ready for paint by the end of the week. I'll post some more shots this week.