89 mustang gt vs 98 s10

pk89 5.0

Nov 2, 2007
hey guys just curious, i got a friend with a 98 s10 all i know about it is that it has a 350 with a holly carb and a cam.
i have an 89 mustang gt with a little over 170,000 miles on it, its mostly stock it has CAI Flowmasters and a msd destributor. i have 3.08 gears and I have a nitrous kit but i really dont want to use it, its a 150 shot plate system i dont understand nitrous enough to use it and i dont feel safe with it. its a 5 speed too
how do you think i would do agenst him? and what rpm are you guys shifting at?
thanks in advance i just dont want to make a fool of myself after he talks trash before i say anything back i want to make sure i can back it up.

• Sponsors (?)

He will most likely dog you, s10 converted trucks with 350's are actually pretty quick, they are a super light, he will have a tracion problem but will mostly likely run you down even if you beat him off the line. Using your nitrous is probably your best bet, read everything you can and start out with a 50 shot, work your way upto 100 and call it a day

My neighbor has a .30 over 350 in an S10, it's ran low 13s. I'm gonna put my 351W heads and my old school X303 cam in this spring and bust his ass at the track :lol:

He's one of those guys who thinks cubic inches are the hands down absolute winner in a race and that his 355ci is absolutely superior to my 302ci.

i dont know for sure but i think a later model s10 (rounded body) may be a bit heavier than the old boxy style. i have a 95 s10 and it doesnt seem real light, but its extended cab though so that may be part of it.

he doesnt know what he runs but i dont think hes runnin any lower than low 14s to hi 13s. i talked to him again and he doesnt have a cam its just a rebuilt 350 with a holly carb.

unless he has built it with upgraded parts a run of the mill 350 is only pushing about 200 horse. not exactly a powerhouse. get some more info.

The 350 cubic inches is great...

But, what is typically on them is horrible flowing heads, and mismatched camshafts and untuned carbs.

Honestly, if you can drive, I could see you coming out with a win. Until the race occurs, we can only guess, as bentley429 was getting at.

The weights are going to be similar.

Try to take to the track to settle it:nice:

ehh, slow... my buddy is currently talking **** to me in his 1970-something vista cruiser with a built up 350 (station wagon:rlaugh: )... and by built up i mean he spent his summer rebuilding it to basically stock. but this kid is clueless - you ask him what kinda gears he's got in the rear, he says "what?"... you ask him what he'll run in the quarter, he says something stupid like "oh man, my **** should run like, low 10's" (he has no idea what he's saying), what kind of tires "who the hell cares about tires?!". if it's got a cam, he says "i don't know man, my dad did all that stuff".. etc. etc. i'm only 18, but since i've started racing and letting my ride back up my mouth, if there's one thing i've learned, it's this - the car is only as fast as the person driving it. also, a good tidbit of advice would be to not ask him what he's got and just run him... if he runs you down, then he runs you down - just make sure you keep your **** talking to a minimum. when he says he'd smoke you, tell him what i tell everyone else "line that **** up and let's see who dogs whom." (yes, say whom, it'll make you sound smarter:rlaugh: )... honestly though, i had a kid with a stock automatic monte with a 305 in it and a set of pipes tell me that his **** runs 9's haha. generally the kids who shoot their mouths off like that have no idea what they're saying in the first place. run his ass to the ground.

i went to the track last year. car was N/A running low 13s at the time. and this kid i knew was there, i used to work with him a couple years back. he is a DIP**** and knew nothing of cars. but he thought he did.

anyways he was racing a dodge avenger, it ran like a high 16 or something.

anyways i happened to get up beside him and we raced. i redlighted off the line, he didnt, i ran a 13 something or other and he ran a 16 or 17.

since i redlighted it showed "winner" on his side of the slip. he proceeds to go around town telling people how he "blew the doors off that white mustang" boy he ate that up bad lol

if its your run of the mill "v8 S10" i think you have a chance of smoking him. just because a car has the potential to be fast doesnt mean it will be. an s10 has a leaf spring setup for a truck, thats not really going to promote good traction not to mention there is no weight in the back of a truck. so if he has any sort of power he will be having some traction problems.

there are some sick s10s at our local track, but they arent exactly a normal truck they are all cut up and setup up for drag racing. and thats all they do.

If the people that did the swap knew what they were doing, you will probably lose. Not at first, depending on tires, but you will get ran down.

Don't forget guys, torque "moves" the car.

Who said a car is only as fast as the driver? A car is only as fast as it is. The driver can only utilize it's potential or not. Trust me, my DD ain't breakin' into the 14's no matter who's behind the wheel. It's stuck in Avenger territory...

yeah, but a car able to run 11's can't run 11's if the guy behind the wheel doesn't know what he's doing. I wasn't discussing slower cars going faster because of the driver, i was referring to fast cars losing all of their potential due to faulty driving.

ya i understand what you guys are saying. He does know a lot more than i do about cars and since ive started talking to him and i actually asked him for help he stopped talkin all that crap and now he's been trying to help me by looking for a new engine and he said if he would help me do any installs that i need help with for no charge.
lol when he took a look at my engine and saw the nos solenoids all he said was wow now i feel retarded. I didn't mention that i wasn't going to use the nos kit

but hes got the origional tires and wheels on his truck and i got bfgoodrich ta kdws so for him having no suspension upgrades and stock tires if I can tree him which i doubt because he's been to the track a lot but not with this truck and i have never been to a track actually racing, i think i will be able to beet him but only if i can get some practice runs in to learn the lights and to practice launching