9,000 miles on 1 oil change

• Sponsors (?)

well, oil never goes bad....
but the additives do wear out, and sludge does build up....

so nothing is really BAD.... its not ideal, and as long as the oil isn't low you will be fine.

Hell, my work van has over 200K miles on it and We just ADD oil now and then. Still runs like a champ, even though its a dodge.

When I was working on FedEx trucks, we put some kind of Amsoil in it and we were running them 25,000 without a change, every week we would make sure the level was fine and we changed the filter every 5,000. Plus it had a bypass filter we changed every so often.

What do you think if someone went 9,000 miles WITHOUT changing their oil?

If it was a synthetic oil I would'nt be all that worried about it. People in other threads have said they sent their synthetic oil to labs and the results showed the oil had'nt completely broken down yet and was fine. If that was the TRUTH then I would'nt sweat it, but I change my synthetic every 4,000 or so, which I'm sure most other people do, or even before that. :shrug:

Back in the times when engines weren't expected to pass 100k or so, 3k/3mo was pretty much necessary for changes. This was also due to the fact that oils weren't nearly as good as they are today.

In these times, even dino oils have great detergent packages, so 5k/6mo is fine. With a full synthetic, 10k+ is easily attainable. Heck, if you read the bobistheoilguy.com boards, you'll see guys running the very oil we're supposed to use (Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend,) to 15k, and they still get good results back from their used oil analysis's.

Back in the times when engines weren't expected to pass 100k or so, 3k/3mo was pretty much necessary for changes. This was also due to the fact that oils weren't nearly as good as they are today.

In these times, even dino oils have great detergent packages, so 5k/6mo is fine. With a full synthetic, 10k+ is easily attainable. Heck, if you read the bobistheoilguy.com boards, you'll see guys running the very oil we're supposed to use (Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend,) to 15k, and they still get good results back from their used oil analysis's.

+1

On a modern engine, 9000 miles is a little on the high side, but nothing i would worry about.

I think i'm currently at 5000 miles or so, but i'm doing an oil change tomorrow

I don't care what anyone says. You should change your oil on time. It may not hurt much waiting until 9000 mile just one time. But if you do that type of thing enough it will have negative effects. Example: Before the 'Stang, I had a '96 Blazer and my mom had a '97 Blazer. They both had pretty even mileage, but mine ran a hell of a lot better. That is mainly because I changed my oil EVERY 3000 mile and kept up with other maintenance. She would only change her oil every 6000-9000 miles and kept up on MOST other maintenance. My Blazer ran way better and my friend and I lined up mine vs. hers one night. It wasn't pretty.

well, oil never goes bad....
but the additives do wear out, and sludge does build up....

so nothing is really BAD.... its not ideal, and as long as the oil isn't low you will be fine.

Hell, my work van has over 200K miles on it and We just ADD oil now and then. Still runs like a champ, even though its a dodge.

That's just stupid. Oil gets dirty, dirt = damages motor, clogged coil filter = starved motor = damaged motor. "but the additives do wear out, and sludge does build up....
" ...yeah so it DOES go bad then, right? :rlaugh: