9,000 miles on 1 oil change

That's just stupid. Oil gets dirty, dirt = damages motor, clogged coil filter = starved motor = damaged motor. "but the additives do wear out, and sludge does build up....
" ...yeah so it DOES go bad then, right? :rlaugh:

It does go bad, but the 3year/3000 mile rule is more of a marketing gimmick than an actual requirement.

There are places that you can send a sample of your oil in for analysis that will tell you when a good time for a change is. There are some guys that ONLY change their oil when the analysis says so...and they go 9000 or so miles on conventional oil.

I do agree that it's not hard to spend $20 and 20 mins to do an oil change now and then, but my whole point is that if you think your engine is gonna blow up as soon as it passes 3000 miles is a little silly.

• Sponsors (?)

Being that I own an engine rebuilding business I really like when people go that long without changing the oil. The only down side is with all that sludge in the engine I have to have the guys clean the acid tanks more often :D

In my mustang, which I use nothing but 10w30 RP, I change every 5k. Once I get over 150k on it, then I'll change every 3k. Has 115k now. I'm actually up to 4200 miles or so now, so I'll be changing it in about two weeks. Royal Purple can handle 5k very easy, but if you beat your car daily, and all the time, I would change the oil at the very least every 3k, no matter how good the oil is.

My '95 XR-7 Cougar 3.8L I go like 6 months, as much as 10k without changing the oil. Doesn't need it. 167k on it, heads and gasket redone a while back tho, as with all 3.8's heh.

Alright, back from the weekend. It was around 9,000 miles using motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic oil. It didn't look bad either. Looks just like it does at a 5,000 mile oil change. Also, 75% of that was highway mileage since I drive 200 miles a day to/from work.

A lot of other manufacturers recommend long oil change intervals. some newer porsches are at 20k. most bmws and mercedes are at 15k for oil changes.

synthetic i hope

volvo recommends every 12 months or 7,500. most customers like to wait 8-10k miles

not a big deal really but almost every volvo 4, 5 and 6cyl is turbocharged and we use regular oil. not something i'd want to do if i drove one:shrug:

i run both types of oil in my car. 5k (5 months with a filter change at 2,500) when i'm running synthetic and 3k (3months) when i'm not

I feel like I'm in a honda board because of reading this conversation. I seriously am getting dumber.
Ok, do you know the difference between synthetic blend and conventional oil?
In simple terms, conventional oil has sulfer in it. When mixed with blowby from combustion and mixed with heat guess what you get. SULFURIC ACID. That's right, you start to build up sulfuric acid in your motor. It eats up your seal, heads, cylnder walls and everything else. Not only that but the viscosity breaks downs, as well as other small contaminats in your motor.
Synthetic oil, is conventional oil that is put through chemical processes to remove the sulfer content while also adding other polymers and such. Point being, no sulfuric acid.

I run nothing but mobil one in my car. Change every 3k, sometimes 4k if i'm getting lazy. It costs me $30 to change my ****. Honestly you people would rather skim out on 30 bucks and end up putting in a motor much sooner then you have to? cool with me. But I also know every single GT I race with the exact same mods I am always faster. Food for thought.

I feel like I'm in a honda board because of reading this conversation. I seriously am getting dumber.
Ok, do you know the difference between synthetic blend and conventional oil?
In simple terms, conventional oil has sulfer in it. When mixed with blowby from combustion and mixed with heat guess what you get. SULFURIC ACID. That's right, you start to build up sulfuric acid in your motor. It eats up your seal, heads, cylnder walls and everything else. Not only that but the viscosity breaks downs, as well as other small contaminats in your motor.
Synthetic oil, is conventional oil that is put through chemical processes to remove the sulfer content while also adding other polymers and such. Point being, no sulfuric acid.

I run nothing but mobil one in my car. Change every 3k, sometimes 4k if i'm getting lazy. It costs me $30 to change my ****. Honestly you people would rather skim out on 30 bucks and end up putting in a motor much sooner then you have to? cool with me. But I also know every single GT I race with the exact same mods I am always faster. Food for thought.

$30? Mine only costs $28.

I change mine about every 3000 miles. Still that is not necessary and I just do that cause I work at a parts store so I have it all right there whenever. But yeah, on a good full synthetic you could easily go 10,000 miles without changing the oil. I've seen tons of test proving this. It's your filter the goes bad around 3000 miles not the oil. Actually I've seen reports from mobil that we got at work showing that the mobil 1 full synthetic oil was actually at it's peak around 4000 miles. Not really sure how the hell that works but nevertheless 9000 miles isn't much unless your talking about conventional oils.

I change mine every 120K...I have another 80K to go for my second change.

Actually I'm at about 6k between changes. I'll swap a new filter on at 3K and add a quart to compensate for the loss. Never had a problem. I use syns in the Stang and F150 and the blend in the Expy.

I drive about 3000 miles a month so my used oil builds up quickly. I've got about 15 gallons of the stuff behind my shed now that I need to get to the recycle dump.