90mm MAF

sdc13

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2002
SoCal
Will a Lightning 90mm MAF work with a stock ECU? I'm planning on a 331 stroker next summer and there are some good deals on 42#inj + 90mm MAF combos. If this won't work what do you guys suggest? With the demise of Pro-M will I be ok with a C&L 76mm on a blown 331?

• Sponsors (?)

Pro-M was bought out by a few employees. They are still in business. Someone may be able to post their new addy. I can't remember it. I would not do a C&L with big injectors. Stick with a Pro-M.

As for the Lightining MAF I believe it will work. Don't quote me on that though.

You will need to change the plug to the 6pin plug for the Lightning meter and will need a custom tune for the meter.

I agree with Joe and go with the Professional Mass Air Systems. Nick bought Flow Stand C from Pro-M and started PMAS. I just got my meter back from Nick and really like the flow sheet.

Joe here is the link if you want to keep it.

www.massairsystems.com

Troy

If you have a tuner that can change the MAF transfer to what the LMAF is then the LMAF is going to be your best bet as its a factory electronic componet, that has a good known MAFtransfer.

If no tuner then get the Pro-M or whatever they are now.

just remember the MAF does not control the inj. it just tells the motor how much air is coming in the motor...the eec knows what the inj. are...the "other" companies "fool" the stock elec. to think they are something else by manipulating the MAF data in one way or another....

I didn't know the MAF didn't play a part in controlling the injectors. That's what's so cool about this forum...learning new stuff all the time. I actually have a chip that was burned on the dyno for my current set up. If I go with the 90mm and 42's when the new motor goes in will the car be driveable? I would have to drive about 50 miles to have the car re-tuned.

To get the LMAF to work your going to need a tune. So no. You could drive up there with the old stuff and change them over at the dyno (unless your going to be running alot of boost and you only have the stock inj. and maf).

You might need to get a trailer to get it too the dyno otherwise, or see if the tuner can send you a "very base tune" that will just get you to the dyno that has a maf curve for the LMAF and inj. slopes/breakpoint quicky to get you to the dyno? That shouldnt be too hard as the factory LMAF transfer is known, and a quick 1.2 x inj. size will get a run-able tune.

I would go with the sct big mouth. I just bought the same combo you speak of (LMAF+42lb injectors) I was only expecting to put down around 425, but I got 465 and pegged the dang thing. SCT big mouth won't pegg until 600 something.

The LMAF is just realy nice for the self tuners as its known factory transfer is easy to tune and work with to get factory drivability. Pro-m is a close second as there meters have bery good elec. from what I hear.

IF you get a 80 pro-m and 36's, why not get the 42's and be safe on the inj.? When they tune it they should dial that pro-m in perfect anyway so it is a good choice.