92 notchback 5.0 h.0 efi needs more hp where to start

deiter

May 17, 2009
i have cai ,underdrive pulleys,headers, 3inch x pipe ,subframe connectors looking to stroke it to a 347 maybe or new heads whats the best way to go need roughly 300 hp so it runs good on street and a 100 shot of nos for the track will i need a new computer and alot of upgrades ? right now it has 5 speed 273 gears all original running 15.25 @ 95 mph 1/4 i did break out and let off it love to set up for a 13.50 run

• Sponsors (?)

what is the motor is it all stock heads,stock cam. if so i think the 3 in exhaust is to big for a stock motor. go to 2.5 exhaust. i would do a gear change 3:55 or 3:73 and then a good shifter. then do heads cam,intake,inj,tb. my first car had a stock motor and i did 1 5/8 shortys and the car slowed down with the bigger headers. i had it run is best of a 13.40 with stock headers and did the bigger headers and the best i could get out of it was 13.6s. changed the headers and it went back down to the 13.40s. i did all in the same day temp only changed a few

it is all stock everything now whats the best setup gt40 heads? and what for a intake ? e303 cam? just looking for 300hp and something that will handle a 100 shot of nos what size tires or slicks would make it 373 gears i would really like to keep the gearsi have to travel around i have 225 60 16 right now

Cobra/gt-40 intake.....throttle body upgrade 65mm. MAF sensor upgrade. Some iron windsor heads with a good valve job and a port. TFS stage 1 cam with some 1.6rr should get you near 300.
Your tire size is fine....maybe som,e better tires.

3" exhaust is HUGE for a stock motor.

I'd go for a gear change. If you like your low crusing RPM's go with 3.27's. 2.73 are just not ideal at all for speed.

As for a motor combo, it depends on what you want. You could go with the tried and true Gt40/Gt40P heads, cobra intake, TFS 1 combo that's popular. With good supporting mods it can put down close to 300HP at the wheels (guys have done it)

3" exhaust is HUGE for a stock motor.

And will absolutely positively not hurt a damn thing. As long as you've got the right sized header primaries (1 5/8" for a 302) you're in great shape. Ideally you want no more than a 15* outward angle to smooth the transition of exhaust gases in the exhaust tract. So if your collector is 3", then a 3" mid-pipe and cat-back is what the doctor ordered. Even if there's a change from 2.5 to 3" at the collector, I wouldn't worry about it because there's unlikely to be any noticeable change in power or torque at that point.

As mentioned, swap the gears for 4.10s or 3.73s at a minimum. Why do the swap to a lower ratio if you're trying to make a fast car.

Other than that, it sounds like you've already done the basics. If I were you, I'd start building the upper end of the motor with a new set of heads, a cam, and an intake. Supporting mods you'll need include new injectors (Save yourself future hassle and go with 36-42 lbs injectors). In conjunction with the injectors get a larger MAF calibrated to them. The 75mm Pro-M bullet was always a great meter, but I hear a lot of people are going with bigger meters than that, now. I personally recommend Pro-M meters. I've had 3 of them now and all have worked flawlessly for me.

Additionally, a 65-75mm throttle body would be appropriate for such an engine combination. Bigger isn't necessarily better. Find out what the inlet opening size on the aftermarket intake you'll select is, and match the TB to that.

Since you've already mentioned stroking the engine, pick heads that can follow you there. AFR165s are essentially a direct bolt-on with no need to have any work done on the pistons. However, spending 1300 dollars now and then not having a cylinder head that will be efficient when you stroke the motor may be a waste of money. TFS twisted wedge heads, or AFR 185s would be my personal choice for your combination. For the intake, I like the RPM2, and the Systemax 2 intakes. The only cam that will ever go in any of my cars is a custom cam. Ed Curtis has done 2 cams for me and both have worked out very nicely.

With a setup like this, I think you'll make north of 300 rwhp with your 302, and probably around 400 rwhp in a high (for pump gas) compression 347.

Good luck,

Chris