93 5.0 into 85.. HELP

crazy04mach

Jul 27, 2007
Everybody, I got a lil question for yall...

I had a 93 5.0 that I had and ended up parting the car. I kept the transmission and engine. Now im putting it into my 85 GT and converting it into Carb and obviously the Module is external on carburated motors..

Can i use my 85 GT distributor? I was looking into getting a new distributor and it says that Cast Iron Gears are not interchangeable with Steel Gears.. So now im stuck... Then i checked the MSD catalog and saw that they have one that has a Steel gear made for Hydraulic rollers.. That is way to expensive for my budget and plus it says it has to be used with an MSD ignition box..

Which distributor do i use?? So do i just get another Distributor for the 85gt?

Help! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

If you are not sure just pull the Distributor gear off the 93' Dist and put it on the 85 Dist. I had to swap gears in my 94 lightning when I went roller cam....It is pressed on so a puller helps...

Thats right. I never thought of that. I wasnt sure if the 85 was roller or not. I thought they went roller in 86? So my best bet would probably be pulling out the 93 gear and replacing it into the 85..

Thanks!

Umm....both are rollers so why would the gear be any different? I've put '85 distributors in all sorts of roller engines and never had a problem. Any time i'm carbing an engine and going the cheap route that's what i use.

The distributor just feels way to loose.. could it might be that the gear is just worn out?

That's the only reason why i decided to get some information about it.. i didnt know if both of them would be rollers.. I can try pulling out the gear of the 93 and checking it to see if it feels the same..