'93 Probe rear disc brakes..help PLEASE

jermy82

Founding Member
Feb 2, 2002
Sherman, Illinois
So I've got a '93 probe GT for my daily driver now and the rear brake pads and rotors were shot so I decided to change them out. No big deal...I've done ford front brakes before. All of it was basically the same and I figured no big deal, but I tried to use a c clamp to push the piston back to fit back over the new pads and it will absolutely not budge...WTF? It says something in my repair manual for my mustang that you are supposed to turn it clockwise with some tool or needle nose pliers...??? I don't want to try that cause I'm sure it would damage it... Anybody know what the hell is going on?

• Sponsors (?)

The parts store sells the tool you use, or you can use a large screwdriver on some rears. If it says they turn to retract, they turn to retract. Dont force them in with a clamp or disk brake retracting tool

Good luck.

Thanks for the help but I figured it out after calling a brake and clutch place in town. Apparently I had to unscrew a short bolt attached to the caliper behind the piston and take that off. Behind it was a small gear I had to stick an alan wrench into and turn counterclockwise, drawing the piston back. Weird, huh? Thanks though.

jermy82 said:
Thanks for the help but I figured it out after calling a brake and clutch place in town. Apparently I had to unscrew a short bolt attached to the caliper behind the piston and take that off. Behind it was a small gear I had to stick an alan wrench into and turn counterclockwise, drawing the piston back. Weird, huh? Thanks though.

sounds like an early miata, and various other early 90's japanese cars

I am surprised the Probe book didnt cover this, as it is not intuitive.

Anyhow, glad you got it whipped. :nice: