93 stock 5.0 getting hot????

silverstang331

Sep 19, 2005
Hi i need some seggestions, i have a 93 lx 5.0 i bought half put together. I got it running and now i cant get it to stay cool. I can let it ldeal for a wile but it seems the more i drive it the more/ faster it gets hot?? Its got the stock radeator, clutch fan which ive change 2 times but did`nt help. Tried 180 degree themistat... and it has a 160 in it now, and is working proberly. Why can i let it ideal and it doesnt get hot fast but when i`m driveing it it does???Also when i got the car he bought a new water pump and put it on, is there any chance that it could not be a reverse rotation water pump? If so what would it be doing?You can take the radeater cap of and see the themestat is open and water is flowing though the radeater:shrug: If any one has any kind of idaes what i could be or experence this befor let me know.. Running out of ideas:bang: Thanks for the help......:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Does it have the little chin spoiler under the radiator? That helps with air flow before and after the coil (while moving).

Good luck.

I'll try and throw a few things out to help. On the temp gauge, is the sending unit in the factory location or was it put in the driver side rear of the intake?

It's a long shot but maybe check to see if it is accurate. Pull it out and put the sending unit in some heated water with a meat thermometer and see if they are close in readings.

Check tension on the belt. If it is loose or slipping it can affect the rotation of the pump especially once RPMs start to increase.

Does the gauge fluctuate up and down while driving? If so you more than likely have air in the sytem.

If you can rule out everything else try a new waterpump if you think it is questionable. You can get an inexpensive replacement at the parts store.

Just a few ideas. Good luck

srothfuss is correct. Mine did what yours is doing. When the water is flowing through the radiator, it moves from side to side. If the lower part of radiator is full of crap, you are only using the upper portion of the radiator. So, even if it looks like good flow with cap off, it's only using the top half of the radiator and will overheat eventually. Take it off and have good radiator shop 'rod' it out. It'll be good as new.

Thanks for the suggestions, already checked the gage it is right and checked the belt, it is tight. Next i`m going to flush te adiator and see what it does.. I `ll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks

I would check timing also, If the timing is off to start when the engine rpms go higher the timing is more off, causing more heat than if it were idling. Also check the water pump for the correct rotation. It will flow enough coolant idling to keep it cool but driving under load is alot different.

Is there any way to tell water pump rotation without takeing the water pump off? Also i removed radiator and the driverside endcap was bowed out/swelled up? Have any ideas why this might of happened, was the radiator plugged????? Thanks for the help, and i ave checked the timming.. Hopefully radiator is the problem. thanks