93 stock connecting rods

Treachery

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2002
After a few false starts, the rebuild of my '93 Mustang GT engine is finally underway.

The rebuild is now at the point of choosing either to go with the stock connecting rods with new ARP bolts or go with new connecting rods. My engine has all the mods one would expect most notiably a Vortech SQ-trim, Trickflow Stage II CNC-ported heads and a Stage II cam. The crank will remain stock but will be cleaned up and so forth. See my signature for the rest of the mods.

My Mustang is a weekend car but will undoubtably see a street race (6000 rpm), every now-and-then but not often. I'm older now and more responsible. :bs:

When the engine rebuild is done, i am expecting around 550hp or so. I understand that at 550hp the engine block at maximum capability but again, it's not often i hit the pedal to the metal.

So... Are the stock '93 connecting rods strong enough to be used for my application or should I go with a new forged set? Saving the cost of new connecting rods would be great and would be used for other upgrades BUT if *really* needed then the decision would be easy.

• Sponsors (?)

You have to consider the cost of putting ARP bolts in the stock rods vs. Another set. When installing ARP fastners, the rods should be re line honed. The extra clamping force can distort the rod, and possibly pinch at the parting line.

Eagle SiR rods are a good entry level rod, and pretty cheap. But then balancing comes into play.