94 5.0 GT Convertible Clutch Replacement

Bradstang

Feb 25, 2004
Austin
I'm getting a lot of chatter in 2nd gear and believe its time to replace the clutch(75K miles). But I don't know if I should just replace the clutch with an original or upgrade to a more high performance clutch. I searched threads and they are all discussing "upgraded" cars, mine is stock so I don't know if I would realize any benefit from putting in a performance clutch.

Is there any “how to articles for at 94 clutch replacement?”

Any suggestions, thank you, Brad.

• Sponsors (?)

A buddy of mine and I replaced my clutch less than two weeks ago. We put in a King Cobra clutch. I love it. We also replaced the cable, quadrant (definitely need to do this if you haven't already), and put on a firewall adjuster. My car is basically stock, just a few minor mods. I think it is well worth it, over the stock clutch. My friend is into drag racing and has tried different setups. He thinks the King Cobra is the best deal out there. Centerforce is a good $100 more, and all it does is add the weights to the diapragm. (Those are now on my King Cobra.)

As for install, it took us about 3 and a half hours. It can be done alone, but it helps to have two people. And air tools. Make sure you get the car up as high as possible. (level it... :D , I learned something about this. Luckily someone had the reason for oil pouring out of the crankshaft) The biggest pain is getting the stock exhaust out of the way. At this point I wish'd I had a aftermarket X-Pipe to reinstall... :bang:

It just takes some time to do it, but it is well worth it. I definitely would go with the King Cobra...

I went with a SPEC stage II when i installed my clutch. Its not really that hard to change out the clutch. When you do it make sure you either resurface the flywheel or buy a new one. Its also a good idea to by a rear main seal and a pilot bearing. Also after market TOB chirp and squeel after awhile so i would reccomend getting a Ford TOB.