94-95 f-150 5.0

jrod92

Jun 17, 2004
I am currently rebuilding my 306 and have found i have a bent crank, i can get a 94-95 5.0 out of an f-150 for about 50 bucks, runs and has 100k miles on it. my question is, if i put my gt40 heads and performer rpm intake with 30lb injectors and my 75mm MAF on this engine will it run ok? my only concern is with the stock cam, will these parts be too much for it? keep in mind i will be driving it with the f-150 engine for less than a month. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The truck cam is very wrong for a HO - the firing order is off and the HO computer will not work properly. Use the cam & distributor from your HO engine in the truck block and you will be OK.

If its a roller 302 which if its a 94 it may or may not be coming out of a f-150 you will be good to go. Some of the 94s were some were not. 1995 and up trucks are all roller. You will have to check the firing order to know if its a roller or not. The cams are very similar on all the roller motors. Its probably not worth the trouble of changing all the parts. It will run fine with the stock cam.

Redrooster said:
If its a roller 302 which if its a 94 it may or may not be coming out of a f-150 you will be good to go. Some of the 94s were some were not. 1995 and up trucks are all roller. You will have to check the firing order to know if its a roller or not. The cams are very similar on all the roller motors. Its probably not worth the trouble of changing all the parts. It will run fine with the stock cam.
Using a non HO cam with an HO computer will work, but you are giving up maybe 10-15 HP. Since your goal is a high performance car, it seems that the HO cam is the best choice.

Check to verify that it is indeed an HO engine. Remove the #1 & #3 spark plugs. Put your finger in #1 spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until you feel compression on #1 cylinder. Slowly turn the engine until the TDC mark and the timing pointer line up. Mark TDC on the balancer with chalk or paint. Put your finger in #3 spark plug hole and crank the engine 90 degrees. You should feel pressure trying to blow past your finger. If you do not feel pressure, repeat the process again. If you feel pressure, it is a HO engine.

No pressure the second time, remove spark plug #5. Put your finger in #1 spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until you feel compression on #1 cylinder. Put your finger in #5 spark plug hole and crank the engine 90 degrees. If you feel pressure now, the engine is not a HO model, no matter what it says on the engine.

Using a small carpenter or machinist square to mark the harmonic balancer off into 90 degree sections may be helpful here.

A 15/16 deep socket & breaker bar or ratchet may be used to turn the engine.

The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
Non HO firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

jrichker said:
Using a non HO cam with an HO computer will work, but you are giving up maybe 10-15 HP. Since your goal is a high performance car, it seems that the HO cam is the best choice.

Check to verify that it is indeed an HO engine. Remove the #1 & #3 spark plugs. Put your finger in #1 spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until you feel compression on #1 cylinder. Slowly turn the engine until the TDC mark and the timing pointer line up. Mark TDC on the balancer with chalk or paint. Put your finger in #3 spark plug hole and crank the engine 90 degrees. You should feel pressure trying to blow past your finger. If you do not feel pressure, repeat the process again. If you feel pressure, it is a HO engine.

No pressure the second time, remove spark plug #5. Put your finger in #1 spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until you feel compression on #1 cylinder. Put your finger in #5 spark plug hole and crank the engine 90 degrees. If you feel pressure now, the engine is not a HO model, no matter what it says on the engine.

Using a small carpenter or machinist square to mark the harmonic balancer off into 90 degree sections may be helpful here.

A 15/16 deep socket & breaker bar or ratchet may be used to turn the engine.

The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
Non HO firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

You realize that all the roller motors have the mustang/351 windsor firing order right? Doesn't matter if it came out of a truck or something else.