'94/'95 tail lights. about to paint mine???

• Sponsors (?)

flat black would be better IMO. Get some Krylon Fusion paint at any place that sells spray paint. It's a plastic paint that works great for this application. Tape off the lenses, clean the area really good with either a paint thinner or similar. spray multiply light coats allowing to dry between coats.

I went with satin and was happy. Mine started to go flat (PO had painted them) and looked poopy, but I agree that gloss might be a bit much (plus really show any flaws).

I didnt use Fusion paint on mine though, so selection might be limited. I was concerned about how it would hold up to heat (110* ambient temps).

I took mine out, sanded them down with 400, cleaned then with wax remover, then sprayed semi-flat black, then satin clear. I kinda wish I went semi-gloss clear but they still look a heck of a lot better than before.

If you leave it flat, it will look like it's still faded.
Scott

I get to come in ahndy again. I work at a paint store. :D

You need to go with the Krylon Fusion for plastics, other spray paints wont bond to plastic. I know at the Sherwin-Williams I work at, the Fusion only comes in a Satin/eggshell shine. It has a little shine so you can clean it, but not so much where you see all the imperfections. The more of a shine you get, the easier to clean, but you see more inperfections.

EDIT: heres a little write-up I did when I did mine.
http://www.automodding.com/paint-taillight-trim-94-t639.html

I used satin black and then sprayed clear. so basically i went with a glossy look(I have a black car though). when i sprayed the clear i also sprayed the red light section because the were looking horrible and now they look like new!

I went with flat black, they do look flat but not faded. I like it cause it matches my vynil top.
View attachment 454289

Not the best angle, but you get the idea.
Picture006.jpg

Attachments

• Picture006.jpg
    Picture006.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 159
Just a side note before you start. As long as you have them out, before you tape them off and paint them, you might want to consider polishing the red portion of the lenses if they are faded with a plastic polish. :nice:

gunfish said:
Hey Nacho (95Vert),
I like the way your car looks with the metal piece around the license plate blacked out. I did mine the same, I think it looks more complete than just painting the taillight housings.

Thanks Glen. I also think it looks better, more complete, like you said. A lot of people were'nt sure how it would look, but after seeing my pic, they made up their mind. I like it, but now it needs a touch up.