94 electric fan

• Sponsors (?)

Typically it requires a tune. The stock perameters are for the low speed to turn on at 208° and the high at 218°, IIRC. Aside from running an aftermarket fan controller, that's the only way I know of to change the temps.

If you use your own controller, relays and wiring, the factory fan control would be divorced from the fan so there would not be an issue of clashing.

I use a Delta controller (DcControl.com) and am very happy with it. It's light years beyond the factory on/off set-up (it uses PWM. You choose a selectable target temp and the fan runs as little or as much as needed to keep you at that temp [assuming the cooling system has enough capacity]).

Brian also sells a chip that lowers the target temps by 15*F (TC-15 on his site). I have not used this device however.

Spal makes a stand-alone controller that reportedly works decently (IIRC Urban96 uses one on his 5N95).

Then you have adjustable thermostats, requiring your own relays and wiring. Or you can use a VW fan switch and your own relays and wiring if you dont like the adjustable controllers. The fan switch isnt pricey but the metric tap for it is.

On the cheap, you can do a fan switch or two. See here for a brief synopsis of how to do it.

Good luck.