'94 GT Stator damage question

R100RT

Founding Member
Nov 27, 2000
Sonora, CA
Hi Mustangers,

I picked up a '94 GT Vert a while back and I decided to see if it would run. I found that it would barely run. I pulled the dizzy cap and found that the armature was damged. It loked like it was hitting the Hall effect, (stator), sensor.

The only thing that could cuase this damage would be a word dizzy bushing, allowing the stator to hit the armature. Am I right? This car shows 205,000 miles on the odo.

I picked up a replacement stator but I think it would be better to get a rebuild dizzy due to having the pull the base plate for the armature and the fact that a worn dizzy caused the problem in the first place?

I searched and found lots of info on replacing the statot but nothing on the cause of this problem.

• Sponsors (?)

There is but one bushing as I recall, and it does go south. A lot of guys do replace the whole dizzy - either with a parts store unit or an MSD.

WHen getting a parts store unit, note that some reman' companies wont replace the PIP on the core if it tests ok. WHen they do replace one, they often drill a new whole in the dizzy shaft - look for two holes for a hint that the PIP is new.

And make sure the dizzy has the right gear.

Good luck.

I picked up a Cradone reman unit and the upper bushing is MUCH tighter than the old dizzy. The worn out bushing caused the PIP to contact the armature. It ran thay way a while as the armature tabs were almost worn through.

The dizzy has a new PIP,(stator), and a steel gear.

Thanks,
Eric!