95' Cobra Intermittent Airbag Code 34

Essn95

5 Year Member
Jun 21, 2017
So this issue has stuck around for a while and I finally am getting around to it. My 95 Cobra has an airbag code 34, but it only has it for the first start of the day. If I drive the car to work, in the morning it will have the code, but for the second start of the day, the code is not present. Code 34 means Low resistance in driver air bag circuit, so I am thinking that the possible suspects are the airbag itself, the module, or the clock spring. Cruise and Horn still works perfectly fine. Any ideas what would cause this issue and let it be so predictably intermittent?

• Sponsors (?)

A Google search for "ford airbag code 34" came up with a lot of other forum links, and many of them point to the clockspring as the cause. In general, low resistance implies a short in the driver's airbag wiring and a failing clockspring can definitely cause that. However, throwing parts at a problem is never fun so hopefully someone else knows how to test the issue and will post that info here.

I noticed the same thing, I’ve checked nearly all the forum results and I’ve seen the three aforementioned fixes work for various people. What throws me is how the code always disappear after a heat cycle or driving. I would think an electrical fault would be more constant.

I noticed the same thing, I’ve checked nearly all the forum results and I’ve seen the three aforementioned fixes work for various people. What throws me is how the code always disappear after a heat cycle or driving. I would think an electrical fault would be more constant.
I have the same issue with my Chevy Suburban. I think I've pinned it down to an issue with humidity but still haven't figured out where it's shorting :shrug:

When I decide to something to it, it will be to cast the 'Disable F-U' spell on it.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user