95 GT - knocking sound in front passenger wheel area

Gr8One1998

Apr 1, 2008
Hey guys, so I just started to notice a strange "knocking" sound coming from the front passenger wheel area when driving at low speeds (< 20MPH). When I'm at a full driving speed there is no sound, but when I'm either starting from a full stop or slowing down to a full stop the sound kicks in again. I can't seem to find anything loose that would be causing the sound, does anyone have any ideas? It's a mostly stock 5-speed manual 5.0.

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem. Only noticeable at low speeds. Varying and random clunk... Turned out that the brake caliper bolts had somehow loosened up after being fine for atleast 4 months. If thats not it, then just get in there and start wiggling stuff and see what moves. Good luck :nice:

Thanks for all the great ideas. So I finally got over my cold and was able to go down and do some investigating. Got everything ready to jack it up and dig around in that area, popped the cap off of the wheel to loosen the lugs, and found that 1 of the lugs had worked itself off and was rattling around. I put the lug back on, drove her around and low and behold the clanking was gone!!

If only all car problems were this easy...