96-98 2V 4.6's

QUICK91LX

Founding Member
Dec 7, 2001
New Jersey
Well, at one time i owned a 97 Cobra and I LOVED it...but i had money troubles and had to sell it...now i have 2 foxes, and ive come to decide that your "average" foxes tend to become troublesome when driven over 60 miles every day...nothing huge, just annoyances that you just dont want to deal with after a long day of class. I have been considering a 1G 4.6 GT, for the whole newer car thing, better ride, etc...but i have heard that they are pretty much gutless...basically i wanna just have a mid-low 14 sec daily driver that can be a good all around car, highway, around town, and be somewhat decent on gas...how difficult is this to do with a 96-98 GT? would it take too much to get it to perform that well and also be decent on gas and the highway too? i kinda wanna stick with stock gears but lets hear about your mild bolt on setups and how the car behaves, etc... thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Quick, there are NOT many 99-04 mustangs in my area with 50,000 to 75,000 miles for less than $10,000. There are many 96-98's with similar mileage for 6,500 - $8,000. If you do your own work, for $1300 bucks you can get a PI headswap kit and have a car that's faster than the newer gt's for less money. Even if you pay for the labor, you'll still be less if you shop around. Mine's getting done right now and I'll be posting my results, shortly. It'll just be an opinion for a few weeks until I can get to the dyno. :nice:

QUICK91LX said:
Well, at one time i owned a 97 Cobra and I LOVED it...but i had money troubles and had to sell it...now i have 2 foxes, and ive come to decide that your "average" foxes tend to become troublesome when driven over 60 miles every day...nothing huge, just annoyances that you just dont want to deal with after a long day of class. I have been considering a 1G 4.6 GT, for the whole newer car thing, better ride, etc...but i have heard that they are pretty much gutless...basically i wanna just have a mid-low 14 sec daily driver that can be a good all around car, highway, around town, and be somewhat decent on gas...how difficult is this to do with a 96-98 GT? would it take too much to get it to perform that well and also be decent on gas and the highway too? i kinda wanna stick with stock gears but lets hear about your mild bolt on setups and how the car behaves, etc... thanks!

They're not gutless. But they are not as powerful as a 5.0 or a 99-04 4.6 litre. They are however responsive to modifications. The PI swap does wonder's for them I'm told. I'd like to do the swap myself, but extra funds are non-exisitent for me right now.

For what you want a 96-98 GT with the PI swap and 3.73 or 4.30 gears will deliver many times over.

tjm73 said:
For what you want a 96-98 GT with the PI swap and 3.73 or 4.30 gears will deliver many times over.

thats pretty much exactly what i wanted to hear :D

now i just have to decide exactly what i want to do, my only worry is about gas mileage. yeah yeah yeah i know dont buy a mustang for gas mileage but i do need something decent...hoping for an average from 17-19 and hopefully over 20 highway...is that realistic w/gears?

QUICK91LX said:

now i just have to decide exactly what i want to do, my only worry is about gas mileage. yeah yeah yeah i know dont buy a mustang for gas mileage but i do need something decent...hoping for an average from 17-19 and hopefully over 20 highway...is that realistic w/gears?
My 98' [stock 3.27's] gets pretty much the same fuel mileage as the 2 5.0's I've had. Mileage is actually a little better since headswap [1-2 mpg average]with stock tune, and back down to the same as it was before the headswap with the custom tune. Not sure how gears would effect mpg, but I'd think you should still be over 20 highway.I'm getting 24-26 [29-31 imp gallon,Canada]with custom tune.

i daily drove my '98 gt for 4 years and loved almost every minute of it (except in rush hour traffic.)
all stock save for a mac catted h-pipe and a k&n i went a best of 14.51@96mph on the stock 2.73s. i added steeda t/a and got the e/t down to 14.45 at well over 3000ft da in hot and humid june weather.

after the headswap it went 13.93@102 with the stock 2.73s and 13.88@102 with the 4.10s (again at over 3000ft da in humid july weather.) all this while retaining most of its stock equipment, including manifolds, no port work, no dyno tune, and definitely no slicks or drag radials.

i also got an avg of 19-22mpg around town and upwards of 26mpg on the highway with the 2.73s. i still got 19-21mpg around town with the 4.10s and about 24mpg on the highway.

ps. my car is for sale (wink wink) and although its headswapped and has 4.10s it still drives almost like stock. plus you can always swap the gears out. (/end shameless plug)

Ive had mine for 3 and 1/2+ years and love it!!

The only problem with 1st G SN95 are the heads...so like the other guys say, do a headswap or port/polish stock heads. I was told by a guy at a machine shop that guys are running below 10s with stock p/p heads, along with other things of course :D

I am happy now that after 8 years they finally have quite a few parts for these engines. Some small things can make it go along way too.

I get around 18mpg in mine and I'm pretty sure everything is from 1998. Heck, I just pulled a couple plugs today and saw they're pretty worn out. So I'm figuring with the tune up this weekend I'll get over 20mpg.

QUICK91LX said:

My car is as stock as they come. The only thing on it that's not original or OEM replacement is the MagnaFlow catback.

All '98 GT's have 3.27 gears. Not sure about '96-'97 cars. My car is a 5 speed and I get 23-24 mpg all the time. My driving is 50/50 country/city. I don't baby it and I don't beat it.

The addition of the PI stuff is supposed to have minimal effect on fuel economy and many people report increases. Same goes for the gears. Some people get better gas mileage with more gear. Go figure. :shrug: My '90 GT got better gas mileage when I went to 3.73's from 3.08's. So I'd believe it.

Search the gear threads. Lot's of people are getting better mileage than you are hoping for with 4.10's.

I bought my '98 becasue the price jumped by about $5000 for a '99-'04 car. I have not regretted it. It's been a fantastic car so far.