96 cobra mods

mrfordgt91

Dec 19, 2004
my buddy has a 98 ls1 m6,,, with headers cam and ram air... i am looking at a 96 cobra and am wondering what can be done short of nos and boost to beat him. does anyone here have expirience with a stroker?

• Sponsors (?)

mrfordgt91 said:
my buddy has a 98 ls1 m6,,, with headers cam and ram air... i am looking at a 96 cobra and am wondering what can be done short of nos and boost to beat him. does anyone here have expirience with a stroker?

You're going to be hard pressed against a camm'd LS1 to start with.

Drag runs or street?

The first thing I'd do is throw a 4.10 or 4.30 in and some Crower cams.

You can bore the engine out but stroking takes away rev speed which is something OHC's rely on a lot more than pushrod engines.

Cams for your cobra are not worth it. Yes they are nice but way to expensive for the gains you will get. If you save like 1.5k more you'll have a blower.

If you want to be able to beat/run w/ your buddy then you WILL need some gears most likely 4.56's (dont think 4.30's will get it done)

Drag radials.
Full Exhaust.
Basically all the bolt ons.

I don't have a problem w/ stock ls1's, but I know that cammed ls1's (especially the right cam) aint no joke! Cammed ls1's don't play.

A stroker? :shrug: If you've got that kind of money then you might as well get a supercharger kit IMHO.

I wouldn't bother with cams either, the bang-for-the-buck factor isn't favorable due to the high cost. However, combining the proper cams & a power adder can make for a beast. :D

Nickel-diming with all of the various
bolt-ons should make you pretty competitive against your buddy. Gears, exhaust, timing adjuster, underdrive pullies, and a good set of tires should go a long ways however you will probably still come up short.

The cheapest way to beat him is to use some juice.

:cheers: