96 Cobra T45 Transmission problems?

Radeon

Sep 19, 2006
Does anyone know where I can find a T45 transmission for my 96 Cobra? I have problems with speed shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and of course 3rd to 4th. This creates a huge problem at the track!!! I would like to replace the transmission with a low mileage or new T45 trans but don't know where to look. I would prefer a brand new one but would settle for the used one if I had to. Could you guys suggest a starting place to find one besides the ford dealership. I know how that conversation will turn out. Thanks Guys. Happy racin.....

Radeon

• Sponsors (?)

Well, first of all, the T-45 should not be powershifted. It is a weak transmission to begin with. My 2nd one is going out on my 96 Cobra, and I never power shift for miss gears. I guess I am putting more power and torque through it than it can handle though. Anyways, D and D performance...(website above) has new ones for like 1,000 bucks. I would replace it with a T56 of a TKO600 if you have a few extra bucks.

Get an aftermarket shifter with positive stops too!

I just replaced my T45 in my 99 Cobra a few weeks ago. The stock shifter is garbage and will destroy the shift forks if you shift too aggressively. I put a TKO600 and Pro 5.0 shifter in its place. WAY more tranny than I will ever need, but it's the LAST tranny I will ever need to buy!

If you want a T45 to keep the install simple (i.e., no new bell housing [the t45 has an integral bell housing anyway], no need for beefy flywheels and clutches, ect) the best deal I found when I was hunting another one was 800.00 plus core from Smart Parts Auto (see link below). It's a reman, but carries a six month/unlimited mileage warranty. Best of luck

http://www.smartpartsauto.com/manual_transmissions_mustang_t45_2870.htm

fluid

Have you already changed the trans fluid?
If not, drain it and try some Mobil1 trans fluid, I have heard it helped alot of guys get rid of the "notchy" feel between the gears.
Mine is good so far.