97gt auto, 3.73 gears, speed-cal

jwgroovin

Apr 4, 2005
Westminster, MD
I just got my gears installed today, and ordered the Speed-Cal to adjust the speedometer. On the Dallas Mustang website, the calculator wants you to put in the original axle ratio, which was 3.08s, and the speedo gear tooth count, of which I have NO idea. Anybody have any idea what speedo gear I have on a 97 GT vert with automatic tranny and 3.08 gears?

John

• Sponsors (?)

i had the same set up (96 3.08-3.73) and i even used all the correct data for the calculator and then flip the toggles the right place and it was still like 15mph off at like 45 mph, lol i was doing 0-60 in like 4 seconds. Please do just call them - they are very nice and helpful and they'll give you a perfect set up for your ratio, tire hieght/width, and tranny. They helped me and i didnt even buy it from them, i bought it used.

I don't remember ever having to change anything besides changing the dipswitches for 3.08-3.73. Leave everything else alone on the speedcal and you should be fine. We checked my speedometer with a GPS and were off by .4mph I believe, from 0-70mph, so I'd be willing to bet it's more accurate now than it was from the factory.

i had the same set up (96 3.08-3.73) and i even used all the correct data for the calculator and then flip the toggles the right place and it was still like 15mph off at like 45 mph, lol i was doing 0-60 in like 4 seconds. Please do just call them - they are very nice and helpful and they'll give you a perfect set up for your ratio, tire hieght/width, and tranny. They helped me and i didnt even buy it from them, i bought it used.

Thanks guys, for the responses. It arrives Friday so I'll call DM that day and get their recommendations, then just jump on it Saturday. I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to anything electric, but if I can pull this off maybe I'll tackle the Simco Classic Series gauge cluster install soon...

John

Thanks guys, for the responses. It arrives Friday so I'll call DM that day and get their recommendations, then just jump on it Saturday. I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to anything electric, but if I can pull this off maybe I'll tackle the Simco Classic Series gauge cluster install soon...

John

Yeah, they'll just say something to you like: up, down, down, up, down, up, up...
the instruction can be confusing once ur dunder the car, and you only need to take off the plastic encasing around your shifter+selection pod in your car to get to the four bolts. I'll pm you my number if you have problems

It's easier than it looks, you just have to REALLY loosen that shifter boot...I was scared that something was going to disconnect or fall through or something when I did it but I overcame that fear after I passed a certain point. Good luck, it's not as bad as it looks!

I guess it's kinda nice having your dad be an Electrical Engineer to help guide you along the way though too...

It's easier than it looks, you just have to REALLY loosen that shifter boot...I was scared that something was going to disconnect or fall through or something when I did it but I overcame that fear after I passed a certain point. Good luck, it's not as bad as it looks!

I guess it's kinda nice having your dad be an Electrical Engineer to help guide you along the way though too...

Or, in my case, my 20 year old son the mechanic. Not that he ever has time for MY car...

John