98 gt making strange noise

Tonight I was on the highway going up a hill I heard a strange noise. It's hard to describe the sound it was making. Kinda of like a rattling sound. Not sure if it could be my throw out bearing or maybe the tiles in my cats are falling apart. It only happens under hard acceleration. Also sometimes when I first start my car up if it's been sitting awhile. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

• Sponsors (?)

SILVERPAGT:

What you describe is classic detonation (or, pinging). Clean your MAF if you are running an oiled air filter. A dirty MAF can lead to pinging. Try running mid-grade (91 octane) or high test (93 octane). Depending on the quality of gas you have been using, you can try a bottle of injector cleaner (I suggest Red Line). Lastly, you can try colder plugs. The stock plugs (Motorcraft) are [AWSF-] 32's, 22's are one step colder, and 12's are two steps colder than stock. The [copper core] 12's are usually not in stock but your dealer can get them for you easily. If all of these steps fail, then you need to get a tune because you do not want detonation (aptly named) to go on unchecked or you will be looking at engine damage ($$).

Hope this helps.

I never thought of that. Since gas prices went up I've gotten cheap and went from 94 to 87 the last 3 or 4 times. I think the rattle I have when I first start the car up is my throw out bearing cause when I push the clutch in it stops. Thanks for all the help guys. Guess tonight since I need to fill up I'll use some 94 and if it stops pinging.

Bill