99 cobra exhaust help

marc99svt

Nov 12, 2004
I have a 99 cobra dropped 2 inches.i have a bassani x pipe with no cats and a
flowmaster delta series exhast.driving, I bottom out on just about everything.the muffleers are very big and i am not crazy about the way it sounds.I like having the the car at this ride height, and I like the x pipe.Before the flowmasters i had glass packs with the x pipe and it was way to loud.Is there any thing out there that will not bottom out and will not be
outrageously loud? I like the deep tone.I was looking at the slp loud mouth,magnaflow,and dynomax.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The slp will be way loud and you mayb have to suffer some scrapes at that ride height.I have longtubes,catted-h,steeda catback and I drag occasionaly I am only lowered about 3/4''(01 cobra).good luck...

try a bassani cat back if u can swing it, hear good things about it. the flowmasters dont sound good with an off road xpipe to some people, and they dont flow too good either. good luck, but slp will only be louder.

Im running bassani x-pipe with bassani cat-back, just switched out my stingers.Very happy with the bassani, not to loud unless you mash the gas.But you can roll on the throttle up to 3 or 4000 rpms and it has a nice growl that cant be heard for miles.That was the only thing I didnt like about my stingers.Although my cars not lowered so I dont know how much more clearance you'll have.May want to think about some QA1 rear adj. shocks and just firm them up with a couple of clicks, i'm running those and it will help your wheel hop also especialy with some DRs :nice:

If you want to keep your Bassani with no cats you have to modify the angle of the front of the pipes right as they come off the headers. Pretty much you have to cut them right after the o2 sensors and shallow out the angle. I had to do the same on my S351, bassani X pipe no cats. That is where you are bottoming out the most. That's the breaks.

ChadS98GT said:
I am going to be putting this exact setup onto my 99 Cobra from my 98GT......hopefully I won't run into the same problems
the 99 cobra is much different from the 98 gt.irs.the exhaust is diffrent.i don't car for my set up now.it doesn't sound very good and it's not an enjoyable ride when you bottom out over everything.

marc99svt said:
the 99 cobra is much different from the 98 gt.irs.the exhaust is diffrent.i don't car for my set up now.it doesn't sound very good and it's not an enjoyable ride when you bottom out over everything.

well I am switching my live axle from my 98 to my cobra.....so as far as I know everyhting should then swap....unless the mid pipes are different for some reason

From my experience with my side exhaust, if you are having clearance problems from the lowering, then side exhaust is probably the worst thing you could do. I get compliments for being different, but the pipes hang about 3 inches above the ground (i get my work light stuck under the exhaust all the time when im working on the car, and i drag on things all the time). My car is only lowered about 3/4" so if you are 2" down, i would steer clear of the side exhaust.

I have a 99 that is lowered about 2". I have a no cat MAC prochamber and the MAC 3" cat back. It clears most everything. I have gotten it once or twice on a few speed bumps but that is my fault fo going over them. As far as the sound, I think it sounds great but can get a little loud.