A-Arm bushing

Bluffing024

Mar 15, 2006
Somewhere
Hey guys. My 1997 GT Vert needs the front bushing in the right a-arm up front...Now every part store I go to all they have is "Front Sus. control arm bushing. Comments rear" So I am guessing the front and rear bushings on the A-Arm in the front are not the same? Where can I get that bushing? Also is changing it out very hard? Are there any write-ups anywhere on how to do it? Thanks so much for the help!

EDIT: Would this bushing kit take care of what I need? Would this do one side? How bad would it be to put this kit on one side and leave the other side stock for a while? Thanks

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_off_set_a_arm_busings.php

• Sponsors (?)

97stang_guy said:
Hey guys. My 1997 GT Vert needs the front bushing in the right a-arm up front...Now every part store I go to all they have is "Front Sus. control arm bushing. Comments rear" So I am guessing the front and rear bushings on the A-Arm in the front are not the same? Where can I get that bushing? Also is changing it out very hard? Are there any write-ups anywhere on how to do it? Thanks so much for the help!
Now is the time to upgrade to Urethane http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...e=product_info&cPath=2_81_218&products_id=408 . They are a pain but not really hard to get out, the best way is to burn them out with a torch

You can use this guide for removal and installation of the urethane bushings http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/front_susp/M-3070s.pdf

No, $40 isn't. But I don't have a place or the tools to do it, so I have to pay someone to do it and then it would be twice as much labor. Would it be bad on the car to have one side done and leave the other for a month or two before I did the other side?

97stang_guy said:
No, $40 isn't. But I don't have a place or the tools to do it, so I have to pay someone to do it and then it would be twice as much labor. Would it be bad on the car to have one side done and leave the other for a month or two before I did the other side?
you could do that, but there wouldn't be a difference if you did wait since you'll still have a problem on one side, i would just save up on the labor or just get a Haynes/chilton manual for $10 and buy some tools (everyone should have basic tools for any use)

If you really what to save money, I have to ask you what came to the conclusion that your bushings in the control arms are bad?

The front bushing on the right a-arm wobbles around. Which also causes it to pull to the right when braking. SO if I replace the right side bushings I wouldn't have a problem anymore. Then I will get the other side done soon after. The main problem is I work at Comcast and we have an on site mechanic so he is going to do it for me, and he doesn't ge a lot of time so I will buy two sets (right and left) and also get new ball joints too since they would be easy to replace with the a-arm out, it is just him finding the time to do it.

But it would be okay to do only the right side and then soon after do the left?

Thanks Tomstang!

EDIT: I do have a manuel and some basic tools as well, but I have a very small garage (foot and a half on each side of the car) But do you need any special tools?
Also how much to the urethane bushings help? Is it a nice difference? Thanks again

97stang_guy said:
The front bushing on the right a-arm wobbles around. Which also causes it to pull to the right when braking. SO if I replace the right side bushings I wouldn't have a problem anymore. Then I will get the other side done soon after. The main problem is I work at Comcast and we have an on site mechanic so he is going to do it for me, and he doesn't ge a lot of time so I will buy two sets (right and left) and also get new ball joints too since they would be easy to replace with the a-arm out, it is just him finding the time to do it.

But it would be okay to do only the right side and then soon after do the left?

Thanks Tomstang!
it won't hurt anything but you wont feel the complete difference till both are done

97stang_guy said:
EDIT: I do have a manuel and some basic tools as well, but I have a very small garage (foot and a half on each side of the car) But do you need any special tools?
a torch, preferably a butane one
97stang_guy said:
Also how much to the urethane bushings help? Is it a nice difference? Thanks again
you'll see a dramatic difference over what you have now, since they're shot. urethane won't break down like the rubber stock ones did, they are a bit stiffer than stock

Thank you so much Tomstang. You have been a huge help! I love :SNSign:

EDIT: I was reading around and hear it is very difficult to press in the new bushings. Would it be better to get new control arms with bushings and ball joints in them already from MM?

"Ford Front Control Arms, 1994-04

This kit upgrades the front lower control arms on 1994-04 Mustangs. It is the original equipment part on the 2003-04 Cobra, and has improved inner bushings that are stiffer than in earlier years. It also features low-friction ball joints. These control arms have a revised stamping for greater tire clearance. This allows the installation of larger tires, and also increases the steering angle limit for a reduced turning radius on 1994-98 Mustangs."

Thanks for any additional help on the matter!

97stang_guy said:
Thank you so much Tomstang. You have been a huge help! I love :SNSign:

EDIT: I was reading around and hear it is very difficult to press in the new bushings. Would it be better to get new control arms with bushings and ball joints in them already from MM? "Ford Front Control Arms, 1994-04

This kit upgrades the front lower control arms on 1994-04 Mustangs. It is the original equipment part on the 2003-04 Cobra, and has improved inner bushings that are stiffer than in earlier years. It also features low-friction ball joints. These control arms have a revised stamping for greater tire clearance. This allows the installation of larger tires, and also increases the steering angle limit for a reduced turning radius on 1994-98 Mustangs."

Thanks for any additional help on the matter!
i just ordered the front control arms.
If you have a ford parts counter hook up it's cheap. I think they list for $189 retail.