Drivetrain Rear housing bushing question

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
I am going to try to lower my rear end enough to " make " some brake lines for it.. Hoping to unbolt shocks then lower it all the way it will go... If its not enough I will remove the rear since I seem to LOVE doing things twice..
My question is if I lower it down, should I loosen up the bolts to the upper and lower control arms to prevent any binding in the bushings??
Thanks for any thoughts here....

• Sponsors (?)

It's ideal, but I rarely see it done. I'll admit I have never done it myself with my uppers when I've changed ride height.

But those rubber bushings when torqued down do contribute to spring rate when they are bound up when lowering.

3-peice poly bushings on aftermarket arms do not require torquing at ride height.

Reactions: 1 user
My uppers are new stock, while the lowers are steeda...
DSCF0960.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Next question. Loosened all of the bolts on the lower and upper control arms and have removed the lower shock bolt..
Can I lower the rear end down all the way it will go and leave it hanging from the control arms? Or should I raise it up a bit and put some supports under it?? I want the rear end as low as possible so I can hopefully bend and install new brake lines without removing it from the car.
thanks all...

Springs will fall out but yeah I’ve let mine come down like that before. I will say it was with the soft brake line disconnected from the hard line on the body. Watch your e-brake cables as well if you have them.

If you don’t want to disconnect the brake line you will need to support it so it doesn’t put stress on it.

Springs will fall out but yeah I’ve let mine come down like that before. I will say it was with the soft brake line disconnected from the hard line on the body. Watch your e-brake cables as well if you have them.

If you don’t want to disconnect the brake line you will need to support it so it doesn’t put stress on it.
TY, new soft line going in as I am installing an 87 up brakeline set up .... I do need to confirm the e brake cables though....
thanks

Last edited: