A/C cycling too much, too noisy?

Dyoct

Jul 13, 2005
Hey everyone. I had my father take my Mustang out. I've been saving the first toss of the keys to another driver for him. I'm pretty anal about letting friends and co-workers drive my cars, but with the Mustang I was an outright Nazi, I even once turned away from valet parking at an upscale restaurant to save this first drive for my father.

Anyways, he comments on the A/C constantly cycling and making that clicking noise. He got me noticing, yeah it's very constant, at least twice a minute, you can hear it inside the car, and if you roll down the window, you can tell everyone else can hear it. Is there a problem? This can't be normal...can it? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I am not exactly sure what your talking about but I just went and drove my car and I dont hear anything like this. I had the AC on max the whole way and never heard this constant clicking that you describe.

is the car stock?

I had that problem on my 1997 F150 and it was due to the refrigerant being low. After I had the A/C serviced, I have not noticed the A/C cycling like it was before.

I'd suggest taking it in to the dealer and have them check the system for leaks and make sure it is properly filled.

I've only noticed it when the units on the lowest setting. Set it on MAX and it clicks way less often.

Even noticed the click when the heating unit is on very low settings.

I noticed the quick cycling on my car as well. It's not really a problem though, that's how it's supposed to work. There is a high and a low pressure point for the A/C system. When it reaches the low point, the compressor kicks on. When it reaches the high point, it kicks off. That's how it works.

Power Surge said:
I noticed the quick cycling on my car as well. It's not really a problem though, that's how it's supposed to work. There is a high and a low pressure point for the A/C system. When it reaches the low point, the compressor kicks on. When it reaches the high point, it kicks off. That's how it works.

Mine sometimes cycles as much as 10 times/minute. That's normal? Even if it is, it's a very annoying noise and quite noticable with the windows rolled down and just cruising. Tick/hiss, tick/hiss, tick/hiss....

I think the mustang should be recalled to have this very very annoying problem fixed cause I can't stand that damn noise. I brought my car to the dealer and they said it was normal. :notnice:

i like the noise, all of them! i love that my mustang makes all different sounds inside and out, pedestrians are always like what is going on under the hood of that bad boy. if i wanted a quiet car i would buy another benz and have it in the dealer all the time!

06 GT Ticks Too

i like the noise, all of them! i love that my mustang makes all different sounds inside and out, pedestrians are always like what is going on under the hood of that bad boy. if i wanted a quiet car i would buy another benz and have it in the dealer all the time!

LOL, nice attitude.

I don't mind the ticking as much as I mind the almost unnoticeable load that's placed on the engine. It feels to me as if a single cylinder misses a single time each time I hear the click. I'm sure the engine can handle it but it still bothers me. If I'm *that* warm the cold air is usually worth it though.