A/C help?!

quiksilver9531

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2001
New Jersey
My a/c has been working pretty good for the last two summers, used to get real cold, this summer the compressor goes on for a few seconds and goes off, and continues that cycle, the air would get cool but not cold, so I figured it was low on freon so I put some in, which I do every summer and I'm good for the whole summer, As I was putting it in the compressor stayed on like it should, but then it started to sound funny, and now all I know is the clutch still kicks on, but the air is hot, and I know pretty much nothing on how this stuff works, so I have no idea what happened, any help would be appreciated, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Without connecting a set of charging gauges to the A/C, it is going to be difficult to chase down your problem.

It could be as simple as a vacuum problem causing the hot air to blow instead of the cold air. Check the vacuum lines first for loose or damaged connections. Make sure the temp knob is turned all the way to cold. Feel the large suction pipe on the compressor while the compressor is running. If it is cold, that's good: it means that there is enough refrigerant in the system. If it is warm or hot, then you may need more refrigerant. There is no easy way without connecting up the charging gauges and seeing what the pressures are with the A/C on full fan at about 1500-1800 RPM.

If the clutch engages and stays in for several minutes, and you dont get cold air, you probably need to put gages on and see what is happening.

You can also feel the outlet from the evaporator, it should be cool.

If the compressor is turning, but no cold air, sounds like it may have lost a valve in the compressor.