A/c Remove It Or Not?

I have an 89 LX 5.0 convertible, the air does not work and even if it did I never use it. I'm toying with the idea of just pulling the whole thing out. The extra horses will be nice and I think it will look better. I'm not going to move the power steering unit at all and just use an 85.16 serpentine belt. Will there be anything that will make me regret going through with this task?

• Sponsors (?)

Next summer when its Hot out and you are sitting in traffic...... lol
Even if you rarely use it, still nice to have when you want it..
Honestly the hp gains and weight loss from pulling it are minimal and unless you remove the wiring,the evaporator and covering the evap holes ,modifying the bracket-ditching the lines and condenser etc etc-it will look like something's missing...
Just my opinion,take it how you like,and post pics of said car :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks RaggedGT. I have to look at the whole picture a little better. During the Fall/Winter I sit around and come up with ideas. I like input because my ideas have loose ends sometimes and someone's import may put things in perspective and save me a headache. Thanks again.

I have an 89 LX 5.0 convertible, the air does not work and even if it did I never use it. I'm toying with the idea of just pulling the whole thing out. The extra horses will be nice and I think it will look better. I'm not going to move the power steering unit at all and just use an 85.16 serpentine belt.
Will there be anything that will make me regret going through with this task
?

A giant wet spot in the middle of your back,...and an uncomfortable warm moistness in the area directly beneath your ball sack.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks RaggedGT. I have to look at the whole picture a little better. During the Fall/Winter I sit around and come up with ideas. I like input because my ideas have loose ends sometimes and someone's import may put things in perspective and save me a headache. Thanks again.

No problem buddy. That's what forums are for lol.
Opinions,ideas,help-and of course.... @madmike1157 's Wisdom :D

Seriously though- more pics

There's some obvious factors to consider...how hot can it get in your area? Is it your only car? And do others, such as family, ride in it? I once owned a 64 Falcon sprint...it had a nicely built 302 but no AC. Honestly I didn't miss the AC much but it wasn't my daily driver. I had a Honda civic with great AC and yeah, I was in the civic when it got hot out....and over here it can reach near 100° in summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

One word. Defrost, kind of a strange word. When it raining, and you will get caught in it someday, the moisture inside the car will gather on the windshield. You need the ac to defrost the windshield, it comes on automatically when you switch to defrost.
Or keep a rag in the car and continuously wipe it, and wipe it some more.
Could of been shorter but I've had too much coffee, again.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you have a dedicated drag car, the extra 20lbs and 5hp the A/C takes up when on is insignificant. In addition, when it gets hot out and you, your wife, kids, girlriend, etc, do not want to get into your car and sweat your asses off is worth it. Finally, if you ever want to sell the car that is one of the biggest red flags as hack jobs, long with removing the power steering.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd recommend leaving it if you plan to keep the car for a long time, based on my experiences. I did it long ago for looks when my car basically only went to shows, but nowadays I try to drive it more and it's pretty rough without it. Most of the time, the sun is too hot to have the top down, so I put it up and have no breeze. I could do without that.

I'd recommend leaving it if you plan to keep the car for a long time, based on my experiences. I did it long ago for looks when my car basically only went to shows, but nowadays I try to drive it more and it's pretty rough without it. Most of the time, the sun is too hot to have the top down, so I put it up and have no breeze. I could do without that.

Holy Moly.. talk a blast from the past. How have you been Dave? For those who are newer. he has one of the most beautiful Fox Body cars out there. You need to go look at his site and drool.

I have owned 30 cars now. I counted the other day... Many different types.

Not a single one has had working AC. 90% of that time would be me living in Florida.

I'm sure if I had a car that had it working, I might miss it. But honestly, I only care about the heat working. As long as your moving, it's not bad when it's hot. But when it's cold. Your cold. End of story.

My vote. Ditch the AC but keep the heat.

I have owned 30 cars now. I counted the other day... Many different types.

Not a single one has had working AC. 90% of that time would be me living in Florida.

I'm sure if I had a car that had it working, I might miss it. But honestly, I only care about the heat working. As long as your moving, it's not bad when it's hot. But when it's cold. Your cold. End of story.

My vote. Ditch the AC but keep the heat.

You've owned 30 cars and not one had working ac?! In Florida? How do you buy that many cars with no functioning air conditioning? I live on the Texas gulf coast and I made it to 21 years old (25 years ago) before I came to the conclusion that I'd never buy another vehicle without air unless it was a racecar..:shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
He maybe like me, 28 non running and one that might get you to work.
Seriously, I need to finish my ac, but I have backup, if the air fizzles in my truck work stops till it's fixed! Get cought on I4 between exits sit'n still in the middle lane about August 15th and you wish you had ac, been there, done that and the t shirt is still wet!

I couldn't ever own a car without ac. My fox mustang was the only car I ever had without it, and that's because I stupidly yanked it out. I spent a lot of money buying ford oem parts and r12 to put it back in

Granted most of my cars are new, but no AC would be a deal breaker these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mostly like crappie old cars. Which is why the Fox fits me perfectly. Lol... I have only owned few cars made after 1990. Most were from the 70s and 80s. So the probability of them having working AC is low.

I have this problem with clutter as well. Power steering and AC get removed pretty quickly. Maybe I just like being uncomfortable? Not too sure...