A/C wont work!!!

Weaponrider

Jun 30, 2005
Ohio
i am working on a 99 mustang gt and the compressor wont engauge. the clutch is not locked up i think it is electrical related. can anyone lead me in the right way and tell me what circuits to look at and what relays might be related and fuses.

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

i had mine sieze and stop working, got the replacement on and it still didnt work... first thing i found was i blew a fuse (because it tried to keep working when it siezed). replaced the fuse and it was fine. i also saw one that had a wire pull out of the hharness that connects to the electromagnet. check that too. pull out your manual and check the fuse for the AC compressor, its under the hood, so if you dont have the manual you can check em all.

Torinalth

A buddy of mine here at work recently had the same deal, and it was some relay or something under one of the fenderwells.

First, are you sure you don't have a freon leak? The compressor will cycle continuously to prevent burning out when it's low, and won't engage at all if it's out of freon.

Secondly, if you have good freon, you can jumper the wires at the compressor with the A/C on, and see if the clutch engages. If it does, then it's likely an electrical gremlin.

i know that the compressor is good and i have checed it of freon. i just dont knwo what fuse or relay to check. and if that is what is wrong with it what might have caused this to happen. where is a common short in the system.

jump the low side presure switch with a paper clip and see if the a/c engages. if it does check freeon level and switches and controls. if it don't kick on check to see if you have power at the clutch electrical connector.

if your not getting power down to the compressor clutch electrical connector and all the fuses check out then I would look at the CCRM next ( constant control relay module) it's located in the passenger side inner fender well, right where the air silencer goes into the inner fender.

Ever been to Arizona during the summer? I'm guessing not. A/C kills nothing when it's not in use, and it's a life saver when it is being used sometimes, well worth the extra possible few mpg it takes away.

I deleted the A/C on my foxbody, and it was the stupidest thing I ever did. I gained zero noticeable power.