A different kind of video of my car in action

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I've been posting these vids in my AEM thread in the tuning section but I'm sure a lot of you haven't seen this. I'm using a program to do screen captures of my AEM software as I run the car. I attended our local "Flash light drags" (its basically ~1/8th mile racing on an unprepped airport runway) on sunday and continued to tune the car. Here is a video of my last pass against my dad. It was the first time I have beat him at the track in over 4 years. He was beating me by 4 car lengths at the last FLD we went to so my tune is obviously getting better. I'm having some real issues with my TKO and 2nd gear... it just won't go into gear at high rpms. I have my clutch adjusted as tight as I can get it without preloading it to the point where it slips. I'm trying to do this to get as much air gap as I can and it still won't go right in like the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts do. Watch the "throttle" tab on the right hand side of the parameters screen, its the one that goes red when I'm at full throttle. Its obvious how much slower the 1-2 shift is in comparison to the others. Make sure your volume is on because my laptop has an external mic and you can hear the car the whole way down the runway.

th_8-26-07FLDPASSagainstdadlastrunofth.jpg

Attachments

• th_8-26-07FLDPASSagainstdadlastrunofth.jpg
    th_8-26-07FLDPASSagainstdadlastrunofth.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys! Unfortunately I do not have any exterior video of the runs. I think Troy (yeahloh95) took a small video on his digital camera of 1 or 2 of my runs, but that's it. I may go to the track this week and if I do I will make sure I get some video of the runs. I'm a little nervous as I haven't had my car on a real track in nearly 2-1/2 years... hell I was nervous just racing at the FLD.

I'm liking the car again so I hope to get it out this weekend and get some pics and video of it. Winter is fast approaching and it's all that will get me through it!

Looks like your about done tuning.

Sounds great.

I wish that was the case. There is still a lot of room left for improvement. My AF is still on the rich side and its not nearly as uniform as I'd like it to be. I also do not know how much timing to run in it. I'm made a few pulls with it set to 32 and a few with it set to 34* total, but I have no idea if it will like more or even less than that. My gut tells me I can throw even more at it, but with my IAC temps getting as high as 146* I'm a little leary to go any higher with it. I want to do a fox TB conversion and when I do I think I'm going back to a plastic PVC inlet tube as the metal gets too heat soaked. The car doesn't like to start when its hot, and my idle is hit or miss, and I'm only getting 10mpg right now. I'll be lucky if I have it tuned before winter! LOL!

The FLD's do not give you timeslips so I have no way of knowing. Its basically just a legal street race. That is the reason I want to head to the track tomorrow. Its supposed to be 87* though. :(

You say that like that's a BAD thing? My first trip to the track with my new engine. It was 103 on the drive there. :nonono: It cooled down to about 98 late that evening. But my best pass was still the first one in the heat of the day. :D I give credit to being the second car to make a pass in the left lane. VHT was nice and sticky.

The video is pretty sweet. What software did you use to do the screen capture and the sound at the same time? I might try that with my wideband screen to do a comparision. :nice:

Your loving that AEM Paul! What you showed me the other weekend was pretty impressive, too bad Charlie was kicking us out, lol.

Did you figure out the miss you where having? Oh yeah, some nice fast shifts there too. Did you powershift?

Your loving that AEM Paul! What you showed me the other weekend was pretty impressive, too bad Charlie was kicking us out, lol.

Did you figure out the miss you where having? Oh yeah, some nice fast shifts there too. Did you powershift?

Paul doesnt powershift!

Looks alot better than the log you showed Tom and I at charlie's. Even your injector duty cycle looks better. Im thinking a bit more timing and you should have it pretty much nailed down.:shrug:

I'd try at least 36 degrees total. 34 and 36 degrees seem to be the sweet spots on a lot of setups. I'm also continuously surprised at how the AFR heads like more timing. More so then other similar aluminum heads...

Keep us updated!

Adam

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll admit I'm still a bit rusty as its been almost 3 years since I last raced this car, but I'm getting the hang of it again! LOL!

What software did you use to do the screen capture and the sound at the same time?

Its a program called snagit and it allows you to do all sorts of stuff and capture anything that is on your screen. The reason I am able to have audio is because my laptop has a built in microphone. I can see this being VERY helpful in tuning at the track when I can see and now hear what is going on.

69Clark said:

I think I did. I replaced the cap, rotor, and wires. I re-gapped my plugs to .030" and added an MSD coil and 6AL. These in themselves didn't fix the problem, it wasn't until I went back into the AEM and set the coil dwell time to 35 from 40 where I had it set at that the problem went away. I banged 6750rpms a few times last time out with the car so it pulls cleanly now. LOL! As for the shifting, I never power shift. I have tried it but I don't know if its psychological or what but when I try to power shift I end up missing the gear. I lift on each and every shift, although I try and do it as fast as physically possible. Charlie keeps telling me to hit the gym and that I'll get even faster. LOL! I am definitely having issues with 2nd gear in that I've been missing it a lot lately. When I try to rapidly shift into 2nd gear it acts as if there is a wall there and no gear to go into, after some time and RPM drop it'll pop in, but by that time my ET is shot. With my datalogs I've seen some of my 2-3 and 3-4 shifts take between .18 to .20 seconds, where as the 1-2 shift is taking around .6+ seconds to go in.

95opal said:
Looks a lot better than the log you showed Tom and I at charlie's. Even your injector duty cycle looks better. Im thinking a bit more timing and you should have it pretty much nailed down.

I agree Rich, and the most recent logs look even better. I'm still getting into the ~85% range in terms of duty cycle with my 24lb injectors with 45lbs of base FP. I'll send you a log of my recent outing and you'll see what I mean. Now that I got the AF nice and flat I'll start adding or even removing timing to see what effect it has.

Black95GTS said:
I'd try at least 36 degrees total. 34 and 36 degrees seem to be the sweet spots on a lot of setups. I'm also continuously surprised at how the AFR heads like more timing. More so then other similar aluminum heads...
Adam

I plan to definitely try it. I want to do it on a dyno or at track so that I see if there is any measurable difference. I'd rather do it on the dyno since I can hear detonation much easier there than through a helmet at the track.

Paul,

It looks and sounds like you were shifting out of 1st pretty quick (~2800 rpm). Are you really having that much of a problem with traction down low? It seems to me that even staying in 1st for a little longer at less than WOT would be worth it to get deeper into the power band.

Paul,

It looks and sounds like you were shifting out of 1st pretty quick (~2800 rpm). Are you really having that much of a problem with traction down low? It seems to me that even staying in 1st for a little longer at less than WOT would be worth it to get deeper into the power band.

It does sound quick, but that was actually around 6200rpms on the 1-2 shift. If you click the full size tab in the bottom right hand corner of the video and then watch it that way you can see the engine RPM (shown as engine speed) on the top right of the screen. Traction is still an issue with anything other than a launch from near idle in 1st, even with my 315-35-17 nitto DR's. 2nd gear was also an issue earlier in the year, but now that its hot out the tires are holding for now. I have 4.10 gears too which also makes for a rather short pull in 1st gear.

Its nice to see you around again BTW!