a few complicated efi questions bear with me

stackz

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2001
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
ok, here's the deal. I have an 86 mustang that was a project about 3 years ago but has been sitting due to lots of moving around etc. Finally got stable again so I want to pick back up on it.

What I did:
88 tbird 5.0 engine converted to carb with an 86 copcar aod. gas tank swapped for a non-efi tank.

what I want to do:
I want to go back to efi with the car after thinking about it now. basically, I know I'll need to put an efi gas tank back in. I know I need an efi intake assembly, maf, engine harness, ecu, and distributor. Also need throttle cables, and t.v. cable?

how exactly does this t.v. cable hook up? this is sort of voodoo to me. I dont even know what one looks like eek. How do you tune these new fangled efi setups? I hear there's a jumper you unhook or something then set timing and it's that simple. The car WAS originally efi (3.8) but when I started to convert to carb I cut the original hardline nipples off so I could run normal gas hose. Is there any kind of high pressure hose at the parts store I can get?

am I missing something else? which automatic ecu's would be good to look at? mainly I'll have to make due with robbing a harness/ecu from a thunderbird/cougar/lincoln type car as the pick a part yard I use rarely gets maf mustangs and when they do they get stripped naked 10 minutes after touching the ground.

right now I just want to get the car running well and move to the rest of it...then I'll come back to the engine and address it. No, I can't convert to stick as my accident has left me unable to drive stick effectively without extreme pain.

• Sponsors (?)