A few more questions about my 351 build up

Bigstang1

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2002
Massachusettes
I am still trying to piece together in my head what im going to do with my 351 when i start building it, hopefull before the summer. This is my first motor ever so im trying to keep it around $3000 total give or take. I have a complete running 1990 351w motor. (1990 meaning non-roller cam) My first question is should i get the crossover lifters and convert to a roller cam or stay flat tappet? second question is should i try to used the stock 351 heads and have them done up at the machinse shop or would it be more cost effective to getsome aftermarket heads? I want to run 11:1 compression and i dont know if its worth it to used the 351 irons. i know the exhaust ports have to be hogged out but some nice aluminum heads would be nice. i am going to used the stock crank, but should i get some forged rods or will the stock ones hold up? def getting forged pistions. Thanks guys, one of these days ill stop being afraid and stop asking questions and actually start building something. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First, you have to decide what you are going to do with the car...ie..drag racing, steet/strip car...daily driver....
From my experience, I would definatly start with a good set of heads. You don't need forged rods but I would have the stock ones magnafluxed.
Hyper pistons are strong too and you don't really need forged unless you plan on running turbo, blower or nitrous in the future.
It will be easier to recommend parts for you once you decide what you plans are for the car.
Compression of 11:1 is too much for pump gas and would not recommend that for the street unless you're ok with pouring octane booster in your tank everytime you get gas. I would say 10:1 for street/strip use.
Is this an auto or stick car?

The car will be a street/strip car. there may be some small nitrous doses in the cars future so i might as well just get the forged pistons. How much power you think the stock rods are good for? my worst fear is putting the thing together and having it granade on me.

One thing is i dont mind being a little crazy. i dont mind screwing around trying to drive a car with a big cam...i have driven a few. its a 5 speed car btw. i am really stuck on the 11:1 compression. so u think with the 93 and the octane boost i would be ok?
there is an add in the back of 5.0 mag for tristate cylinder head they have 5.0 race heads $550 a set. i was wondering if those are any good. i am very open for suggestions if anyone has any. thanks

If you plan on nitrous shots higher than 150hp, I would say go ahead and get the forged pistons. You should be able to get away with 11:1 with 93 octane and boost.
I know nothing about Tristate cylinder heads. I would do research on the aftermarket heads that are available. Look at Canfields, AFR's, Edelbrock, TFS...to name a few good heads out there.
The heads, forged rods and domed pistons are going to eat up a lot of that $3000 you have to spend though and that's not counting the machine work that will need to be done. I'm not saying you can't build a nasty 351 with 3 grand but you'll have to choose your parts carefully.
Definatly start with good heads and work from there.

from my understanding tri state heads are a victor jr knock off head. i have heard a few good things about them. the cam question is one i am cotemplating. i am going to be switching to a roller cam in the near future. i would recomend doing that right off the bat. if you want to run factory heads i would recomend looking for a set of 1969 windsor heads.

Thanks for the replies. yea i know 3 grand isnt the greatest budget, i could probly go as high as 4 with out too much trouble i just dont wanna break the back but i have wanted to build this motor for so long. I know the t5 will have to go eventually but i figure i can do up the motor and drive it easily while breaking it in and save for a tremec or somthing. any debate on the roller vs flat cam issue?

Going with a roller cam/lifters is always a good choice because it reduces friction. Plus, the ramp rates are better than flat tappet grinds.
While you're at it, you may as well go with 1.6 or 1:7 roller rockers.
What's the HP range you're shooting for with this engine?

That should be no problem at all with a 351w. You don't need 11:1 to do it but since you're stuck on having them......
Also, is this going to be a carb. or EFI car?
Here is something that should get you where you want:

AFR 185 heads
11:1 pistons
Victor Jr. or stealth intake
750 Holley
long tube headers with 2.5 or 3" exhaust
A cam with about 240*-245* [email protected]
Holley blue pump with 3/8 or 1/2 fuel lines

With those cam specs you will also need 3:73 or 4:10 gears in the rear
Actually, that setup might even get you about 450hp.
That's just a "ballpark" parts list you're looking at.

The car is going to be efi. I already have 3.73 gears out back so i guess thats one thing going for me. If i use the afr 185s and say a cheaper intake like a typhoon 351, and stay with the flat tappet cam its still possible to get into the 400 hp area? If i stay with flat tappet is it worth going with a solid cam? I realize this requires adjusting the valves often but is it worth the extra work? One other side question, the 351 has a flat tappet now which means it has a bronze distributer gear correct? If i go roller i have to get a new steel gear right? but i can leave the bronze one if i stay flat tappet?

I've heard the typhoon intakes are cheap copies of the Edelbrock performer 5.0 intakes and have alignment issues. I would look around for either a cobra or GT-40 intake or buy the actual Edelbrock intake.
If you're going to have 11:1, you don't want to have intake restrictions.
I'm not much into EFI combos but I suspect that you'll probably need about a 70mm TB and 24# injectors.
You don't need a solid lifter cam to make 400hp unless you don't mind adjusting valves once in awhile. Also, you are correct about the dizzt gear.
I take it this is going to be an EFI conversion on a non-roller block?

I see no problem with the typhoon intake. you will need to get the block machined, and the rotating assembly balanced by an engine or machine shop. They could check the intake for trueness and fix any problems.
As for cam I would go roller. You can get a conversion kit like this one:
http://parts.factoryfive.com/Ford/14350.htm
just add cam and lifters.
Since you are set on 11:1, then definitely get aluminum heads to offset detonation.They will pull more heat from the cumbustion chamber and allow for more timing.
Also, you may want to look into a 351 damper and flywheel. It would suck to balance a 351 to 50oz imbalance.
Also, your exhaust may need modification to fit the taller deck height, and I'd contemplate more fuel. Maybe larger injectors and a new pump.
I'd sit down and check on every part you are going to need for the swap.
All the engine bolts, check the cooling system due to more power, motor placement, hood clearance, ect.
I'm also not sure if 302 fuel rails fit the wider 351 manifold.
More research now saves headaches later. And man have I had those headaches.

Yes this will be efi on a non roller block, however the 351 has a truck efi setup on it from a 90 bronco. i am planning on getting a 28oz flywheel and balencer as welll as some 351 swap longtubes. i believe the fuel rails can be cut and extended i read somwhere. the injectors and pump i was going to wait to do untill after i got the motor in and running then i would upgrade those unless it is going to pose a major problem right off the bat.