A few questions about coups and convertibles...

MustangGT01

Founding Member
Mar 16, 2001
Unemployment, Ohio
I'm working on my 89 GT vert and I was wondering a few things. A couple of years after my model they had a headliner for the convertible. Do any of you have pictures of the headliner in their car and how is it attached? I am wondering if it'll work in mine and what the finished product will look like. Second, I'm also looking to clean up the trunk area of my convertible up as well. The pressed hard foam inner body panels really piss me off cause they are flimsy. I like the finished look of the inside of my hatchback witht he plastic panels instead. Does anyone know if a coupe model came finished with plastic inner panels or was it the same pressed hard foam? I'd like something a little harder and durable back there. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

My '91 vert didn't come with a headliner, but there is one available on a retro-kit install. From what I heard, any upholstery shop worth their salt can put it in in a couple hours. They do look good, hiding the frame and all, and they cut down on some of the interior noise. I'm going to get one when I get a new top put on mine.

Thanks guys. :D do you know if a regular joe should be able to install the headliner kit? I'm getting a new top installed here in a few weeks. I'm looking to restore this car as best I can. Hopefully come summer time I can ork the interior and get everything squared away in there as well. It'll be a good time since I plan on pulling the dash and replacing the heater core and also putting in some new gauges since the factory ford are about as truthfull a a politician at election time.

;)

i had a headliner installed in my conv and it turned out great! the frames on our conv weren't made to have headliners so some things are a little off. a few flaps are loose but you can just tuck them in and the headliner almost did not fiton my car. it fit really tight but it was worth it. i suggest you take it to be installed, this is one of those things that should be left to somebody with experience. it cost an extra $200 just for labor to have it installed. good luck