a few questions.....im new go easy

Jmet

Jun 14, 2003
ok sorry....
could someone explain a "C-6 or C-4" transmission to me?
are these good for street cars?

door lock actuators....easy to replace? what do they do? :shrug:

having a speedo recalibrated? an easy job for a shop right??

sorry again but i figured i'd get all the stupid questions out in one post than try and take up a few. thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

C6 is a heavy duty 3 speed auto found behind 300's (trucks) and big blocks. They are very heavy but very tough. One piece bell housing.
c4 is a medium duty 3 speed auto usually found behind most 302 and 351s from the 80's. The bellhousing can be unbolted.

Door lock actuators are what makes the power locks work.

Speedo recalibration is for gear/tire swaps that throw the spedo off.

BUAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA, those sure were some STUPID questions!! lol

Naa just kidding. No questions are stupid, only the answers. Pretty much like he said. The lock actuators can be a PITA to replace if you dont have proper tools.

hahah thanks for all the help

so if there was a c-4 in a street stang?? good? bad?? i would assume it drives just like a standard AOD so would be ok for highways and stoplights correct??

thanks again guys!

You can build a C4 to be a very stout trany. It's going to cost you a good amount of cash though. Also remember that you'll need a nice converter to make it all work nicely. I personally can't stand automatics unless they're in some sort of luxury-take-it-easy type of car. My coupe had an automatic in it when i first got it (C4) and it wasnt long before i destroyed 3rd gear, with nothing more than a 3200 stall behind the stock motor.

Jmet said:
hahah thanks for all the help

so if there was a c-4 in a street stang?? good? bad?? i would assume it drives just like a standard AOD so would be ok for highways and stoplights correct??

thanks again guys!

You can use a c4 in a street car. The only issue is like the others said it has no OD. Your top gear will be 1:1 instead of .7:1 so instead of cruising along at 1500 rpm at 60 you will be 1950. That doesnt sound like much, but nearly 500 rpm is going to make a difference in your fuel economy. It wont make you get 3mpg or anything like that but you will lose about 3-5mpg on the highway.

A C6 is a tough old bird. It fits in the stang if you beat the floorpan a bit. Just be aware that it is heavy and it uses some hp to turn heavy devices.

79'293stang said:
well havin no overdrive really sucks with a c4 and some gears with my 4.10's im hittin 3 grand just doin 60 so if u have a gear swap in mind take that into consideration

Aside from not liking an auto, this is why i put the 5 speed back into my car. I didnt want to sacrifice drivablility or my gear. If my motor were more new (250k+ miles) i'd get a 4.30.

hey ive got an 84 with aod and have already decided to put it into the shop for an overhaul and have a shift kit and converter put in, should i stay with the aod or convert to a c4?

A well built AOD will hold its own. Just dont manually do the 1-2-1 shuffle and it should last a while. There are several companies that modify the valve body to remedy that shift fault. The OD is then electrically shifted by a small switch.

hllon4whls said:
You can use a c4 in a street car. The only issue is like the others said it has no OD. Your top gear will be 1:1 instead of .7:1 so instead of cruising along at 1500 rpm at 60 you will be 1950. That doesnt sound like much, but nearly 500 rpm is going to make a difference in your fuel economy. It wont make you get 3mpg or anything like that but you will lose about 3-5mpg on the highway.

It's actually more like 1457rpm with the AOD compared to 2143 with the C4......big difference. And thats with 2.73 gears

Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems http://jrichker.stangnet.com/Mustang_tech/door_actuator_fix/1_of_8_door_actuator.htm

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $4. Fix one side for $17, do both sides for only $23. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.